free website stats program Electricial Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Electricial Problem

hoghunter

Hello,
I have a 2006 Ultra 95 cu. gear drive cams, 26 degree injectors and a dobeck tfi fueler bike has about 30,000miles on it. Yesterday I was riding and the speedometer and tach both went to zero and then swept the full range and when back to normal. This happened 8 or 10 times in just a few minutes and it didn't happen again the rest of the ride about 200 miles. Any one else had this happen to them. It never threw any codes and all the other gauges never moved, the radio quit and the cruise control went off and both came back on after the speedometer and tack made a sweep, but the motor never missed.The only other thing I noticed was when I started the motor the check engine and alarm key lights came on for a few seconds and then went off. Any suggestions

Hoghunter

Had a similar issue a couple of years ago on my 2006 Ultra. I found the connector for my front O2 sensor was loose causing what seemed to be a communication problem on the data buss. Mine however threw a code in the ECM that led me to the O2 sensor. My suggestion would be to hook to the ECM and check for codes, then go checking the electrical connections on the sensors.

I had a similar problem with my '06 flhtci, speedo, tach, radio and gauges all died the motor and lights stayed on. It did throw codes.
What I did was to remove all the fuses, cleaned and coated with di electric grease. Also I disconnected the ECM, cleaned the plugs with some contact cleaner and sprayed with a light coating of WD-40. That was around a year ago, I have not had a problem since.

Hello All,

Did the checks that were recommended I think I did them correctly. Took the fairing off and checked pin connections and put dieelectric grease in them. I checked all the grounds I could find took them apart and cleaned them. I pulled the speed sensor and clean it and replaced it. Battery is about six mounths old and it was o.k. and the cable were tight. The problem with the key icon on the speedometer and the check engine light coming back on after engine started has gone away and I hope the issue with the tach and speedometer is fixed I guess time will tell. Thanks for everyones input.

Hoghunter

Back