free website stats program Electrically Challenged Heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrically Challenged Heritage

Eddie96FLSTC

About 6 weeks ago I bought a '96 FLSTC from a place here in Wichita called Dream Machines. With the exception of the hypercharger and exhaust, it is bone stock. I rode it twice and it wouldn't start. Contacted the dealer and they sent it to their mechanic. The stator and rotor were replaced and all seemed well. Rode it back and forth to work a few times, no problem. Two days ago y wife and I went riding and when we got home it wouldn't start....again. The next day I went to HD dealership and bought a better battery.The wife and I went out again got home and it wouldn't start.....again. Obviously, the battery isn't charging when it's being ridden. In about an hour I am taking it BACK to the mechanic. Any thoughts?????

First question is do you have a manual? Next question is after the stator and rotor were replaced what was the output of the voltage regulator? Do you know if and when the battery cables were replaced? Have you checked both ends of the battery cables to make sure they are clean and tight? My guess is going to be a bad voltage regulator.

Sounds like a bad regulator again, this should be on their dime check to be sure the alternator plug is all the way in and not oil soaked

No. I don't have a manual. Don't know what the output of the voltage regulator was either. I know the cables weren't replaced.

Yes. All the lights work, for awhile. The last time it stranded me, By the time I got it home, the headlight was real dim, lost power to the speedo, turn signals, etc. When I hooked it up to the charger teh battery was almost completely dead.

So far, all the repairs have been on the dealer. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the responses. The mechanic at V-Twin Specialties, here in Wichita, found a wire that had been rubbing the frame. There was a spot where the insulation had worn through. Sometimes it would show a good charge, but while riding it would vibrate around and ground out which kept the regulator from charging the battery. The dealer is standing behind the bike and I haven't had a bill for either trip into the shop. Glad it was something simple and no extensive damage had happened. Now......ready to ride!!!!!

Glad to hear that the problem has been found and repaired. Also the dealer that is standing with you is a keeper. Might be time to write a nice letter thanking them for their support. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Back