free website stats program electrical/starting problems help needed please | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical/starting problems help needed please

IronMan

I had previously had a problem with finding the fuse block for my blinkers on my 02' Sportster, I did locate it and fixed that problem. HOWEVER I went to remove the battery to elemenate any other electrical problems while rebuilding my bike. While un-doing the postive battery cable my wrench touched the frame and arced pretty good. I immediatly checked the fuses and none blown. When I turn the key on everything works....blinkers , high light indacator, tail lights ect. BUT it will not crank now and I noticed when I turn the key on the oil indacator light does not work. If anyone has had or done this and knows what I need to do to fix this error I would be greatly appricated. The UPS is delivering my brand new wide glide front end tommrow and it would be a shame not to be able to ride her after waiting so long. Thanks again

There shouldn't be any fuses associated with shorting out the battery. It's all local at the point of the wrench contact. Have you checked the bulb if it 's not an led or circuit board and the circuit to it for power?
Also check the wiring to the oil pressure switch on the engine.
Recheck the connections on the battery to make sure they are clean and tight , this may be the reason for not cranking now since you had them off.
You can bridge the small connector on the starter solenoid to the big lug on the starter to verify the starter itself, but make sure it is in neutral first. If the key is on, it will start, with the key off, it will just crank.

In the future, ALWAYS disconnect the negative cable first and reconnect it last to prevent this from happening.

Well I had cranked her up shortly before I went to un-hook the battery and everything was fine. Now everything works (except) the oil indacator. The motor will turn over but it is like it is not getting any fire or fuel and will not even try to crank. I know that fuel is not the problem so I am thinking it must have shorted out a (firing module maybe???) I am at a loss right now.

The motor will turn over but it is like it is not getting any fire or fuel and will not even try to crank.

have you checked for spark from the wires? I think when you say crank you mean fire. most people are gonna assume when you say your motor wont crank that the starter wont turn the motor over.

have you checked for spark from the wires? I think when you say crank you mean fire. most people are gonna assume when you say your motor wont crank that the starter wont turn the motor over.

Excellent point and very confusing to read.

It is possible with a surge like you had that the ICM (brain) may have been spiked and is damaged.

Ok, I went back out to the shop and hooked the battery back up. When I turned the key on the oil indacator light worked for a breif second. I pulled one of the spark plug wires off and held it close to the spark plug...I get a (little) bit of fire once I turn it over but it looses fire after jus a a second. I can un-do the battery and let it sit for a sec and it will do the same thing.

Best bet is to remove a plug and attach the wire to it, then ground the tip on the motor. You can see better if the spark looks right.

Battery fully charged? It makes a difference.

It will run the battery down trying to crank it now when before it would crank up jus fine. I'm thinking this has to be a in-line fuse block or a in-line circuit braker of some sort.

Back