free website stats program electrical problem | Harley Davidson Forums

electrical problem

bubbalooey

1999 sportster xl custom 1200, 10,000 miles. Always ran great, two weeks ago, after warming up to operating temp about 15 miles, cut off, sputtering cuts off. Will only run when engine cold now. I cleaned gas tank, checked coils, changed plugs, only other thing I can think of is stator. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Does that bike have an Main Breaker? maybe it's getting weak.

1999 sportster xl custom 1200, 10,000 miles. Always ran great, two weeks ago, after warming up to operating temp about 15 miles, cut off, sputtering cuts off. Will only run when engine cold now. I cleaned gas tank, checked coils, changed plugs, only other thing I can think of is stator. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You might want to check the fuse block just under the seat lip above the battery. Hobbit had a Maintenance thread about corrosion on all those open fuse contacts (On my 2004 Sporty, I ended up cleaning the entire works out with Brakecleen contact cleaner, replacing all the 15A fuses and coated all the contact surfaces with di-electric grease)...:sd

You may also want to check out both battery terminals and their respective connections, scraping them clean, flushing with Brakecleen and use di-electric grease on them as well. Your sporty will thank you :bigsmiley11:

Thanks Glider, did not know how to attach the hyperlink in my response. BTW Iron Man made a comment about lack of responses to his Sportster custom poll, and I was wondering what kind of statistics you generate...how many of these Q & A do you review on average and how many do you respond to...I know those stats must be pretty amazing...:bigsmiley11:

Thanks Glider, did not know how to attach the hyperlink in my response. BTW Iron Man made a comment about lack of responses to his Sportster custom poll, and I was wondering what kind of statistics you generate...how many of these Q & A do you review on average and how many do you respond to...I know those stats must be pretty amazing...:bigsmiley11:

Just go to the page you want to post, highlight it and copy that link in the address bar and past it where you want it to appear.

The mods view all posts on the board daily and respond to any that need replies or edits. The stats are available in the posts themselves and remain there. We do not remove the votes or alter them in any way, that would defeat the purpose of the post.

Can't answer the question about the lack of response to a thread.

He posted this and it's a personal observation on his part. I am unable tell you what he was expecting. From the choices that were given, he was looking for comments which he got.

"to have a 127 veiws and only a very few comments one way or the other tells me people are not into this site or jus into there own build or bike..........."

Lessee...9,842 posts and if your stats were just close to an earthbound user like myself, if I only personally have replied to at least 20 or 30 times that...in only a few years...it would still be pretty impressive in my book!...you the man!!! :hi:

Last edited:
Back