free website stats program Electrical Problem I think | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Problem I think

trickydoc

While ridding in traffic, slow stop and go, my bike just shut off and restarted twice. Kinda spooky, just glad going down hill. We rode on and this never happened again. When this happened all the gages were bouncing back and forth, tach and speedo also. It lost all power but then restarted, like I said two times, then no more. My bike has a new battery, May 09, but it only charges around 13 volts when ridding, around 2500-3000 rpms. My old bike would charge at about 14. New bike is 01 ultra old bike 97 ultra. I just got this bike and have not rode it much yet. Is 13 enough charge. I have removed and cleaned the battery, but have not rode test yet, raining. Buddy said it could be bad battery??? I removed the switch and switch panel to lower the bars, could I have loosened a conection? I didn't loosen any wires, just moved the panel enough to access the bar clamp. Thanks ahead for any replies.

Bikes in your era were known for bad main breakers. They upped the size from 40 to 50 amps when replacing them.

As far as thew 13 volts, these meters aren't all that acurate, try measuring the voltage at the battery with some RPM's applied and you should see a tad over 14 there.

Thanks for all the replies. But now the big problem has surfaced. Started on a ride with wife yesterday, and noticed that volts had dropped to around 10. Just got back home when everything quit. I think the regulator or stater, or both is gone now. guess this was the problem all along.
thanks again
ordered parts yesterday to replace both.

Wondering if I have the proper attach points fro ground wires or even if I have all the ground cables...can anybody gimme a hit on the ground points for the charging system...on a 99 flhtcui???

Wondering if I have the proper attach points fro ground wires or even if I have all the ground cables...can anybody gimme a hit on the ground points for the charging system...on a 99 flhtcui???

2000flht,flhtc,flhtc_ultra,fltr1,.jpg

Here is a 2000 model, should be close

Back