free website stats program Electrical Gremlins | Harley Davidson Forums

Electrical Gremlins

riverman

Hi All
I have a 2010 FXDC with 5500 miles on the clock.
3 times now over the last few months when I have hit the start button,nothing.....dead!!!
So I go through the normal check list,run switch on,neutral light on,then I turn the ignition off and back on....still nothing!!
I go through this procedure 4 or 5 times with no luck??
Now I'm not sure why I tried this,I just did!! I pulled the clutch lever in and hit the start button and she fired right up????
So this has happend 3 times now,each time the bike is in neutral and the neutral light on the dash is on,I always double check these first..
So the bike seems to think it's in gear when it's not??...
The only thing I can think of is the neutral switch is faulty....but the neutral light on the dash is lit as it should be so i'm a little puzzled???
I'm not that worried about this,I just do'nt like having any gremlins in the electrical system!!..
So if any of the electrical guru's here have any ideas on what could be causing this I would be interested to hear them......THANK YOU...

WAZ from AUS!!

Remove and clean your battery terminals, neg off first and on last.

You could have a problem in the neutral switch too, been many of them going bad. I had to replace 3 on my bike.

Thanks Glider...Gee that was fast..
The last time this happend was the day after the dealers did the 5K servise,and they told me that they checked the terminals.....I'll ckeck them anyway!!
Because this has only happend 3 times in 3 or 4 months it's a little hard to get a line on where it's coming from..

Cheer's WAZ!!

Best bet is to go right to the terminals when the problem happens. If you try to move the terminals and it starts then, you found the problem.

Also if you HOLD the start button a few seconds when it does this, then feel the terminals and see if one or both are HOT, you found the culprit.

Just be careful you don't burn your hands, a bad connection that conducts 100A or so can get red hot real fast. :s

Thanks for the input Glider and NEWHD....
I'll have to wait and see if it happens again and check the battery terminals then.
Last time it happend I cleaned the neutral switch terminals and applied some electrical conducting grease...I'll wait and see how that goes..

Cheers WAZ...

Check the wires at the starter also and make sure it is grounded and the bolts are tight

3 times now over the last few months when I have hit the start button,nothing.....dead!!!

Not sure if understanding exactly what you mean. When you say "dead" you mean the bike won't crank but the headlight and dash lights are still ON and are bright. It doesn't sound like you mean dead as in "no power" or is it?.

Do you have hands free security on your bike? Also check to see that the ECM is clear of any B1154, B1155 etc codes.

You have all of your lights working. Do your signals flash in a strange manor? If so, check your fob battery. If it's low, it's not communicating with the ECU.

Sorry about the confusion everyone....The bike has full power and all lights are working...
It just won't turn over as if it is in gear...if I pull the clutch lever in it will start as it would if it was in gear..the neutral light is on and it definately is not in gear....
so the bike seems to think it's in gear when it's in neutral...
Bike has HFSM amd is not showing any codes..
I am thinking it has something to do with the neutral switch...but the neutral light is working so it might be where the wires conect to the security module???not to sure yet...

Cheer's WAZ.....

Back