free website stats program Electric Start??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Electric Start???

Bought a custom 1997 S&S 100ci rigid that has a kick start only! Dangerous!!! Anyone ever converted one of these S&S motors to electric start? Got pics if I can figure out how to post them. 22 miles on this bike. Builder went to prison before it was finished and it has sit since completed. Life is good!

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 82
  • kick.jpg
    kick.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Very cool but whats the problem with kick start yeah a little hard to start but why do you think its dangerous?

100 cubic inch. Has claimed a knee and a hip in the building process. Only has 22 miles because nobody was brave enough to kick it. I have a bad back also. Will have some kick start parts for sale soon!

yes it can be done but you're looking at $3000 or so by the time it's over.I wouldn't say brave,foolish is more like it.

I had an old 69 Sportster with high comp pistons which kicked back and broke my foot, in a boot, not tennis shoes either and I am a big guy, 6'3" 240#'s, and that's when I was young and full of myself. Of course no one made me install the high comp. pistons either..........I remember my father making some observation about "why" when I was building up the motor.....as usual the old man was right........just took me about 25 more years to figure that out....

I didnt dig out my aftermarket catalog but if you do your own work it will be less than half that 3000$ price. Inner primary,trans case and starter. Get one with the starter button on the trans case. I dont know if I can put down the company I deal with but pick up a custom bike mag and read through it.they are all there.

You can leave the kicker on it. That eliminates the need for a new trans cover. You will have to replace the clutch shell with one that has "teeth" for the starter gear.. It may have them already, if so you're head of the game. You'll need a new inner primary (or atleast the mount for the starter), a starter, correct gauge wiring, control relay and a starter switch. Or you may want to go a chain primary and eliminate the belt with a traditional primary case.

Or you can use a switch that mounts on the starter relay. How about posting a more detailed shot of the clutch shell (straight on shot) and a shot over the top of the tranny looking toward to clutch.

I've done a few mods like this (kick only to electric starter) on early Evo and Shovelhead customs. Looks like the tranny may be a late Shovelhead style unit... If you post the pictures I may be able to give you more info....

Last edited:
Back