free website stats program electric start 79 fxs 80 | Harley Davidson Forums

electric start 79 fxs 80

paddwardo

ok.. going to fit the starter to the 79 shovel..tried this before but the jackshaft was clearly about 1/2 an inch short so ive got a new inner a and a new outer primary cover and all the rest of the the gear was in the box..the first time I tried this it seemed that the starter was sticking out too far and the jack shaft was short.. This time I can mock it all up on the bench.. the jack shaft I have is a 70 (last digis) and all the rest of the gear is year/model correct..having said that It anyones guess.. Hobbo Do you have an electric starter on your 79 ?? I can post photos and update the progress but Ive got to be honest..Im not confident .. what do you think troops ??

I know very little about retro fitting to older models so I'll hold my breath and cross my fingers. Since you can mock it up on the bench how about some pix of the set up and parts.

Earlier Jackshafts were shorter for BT's & Sportsters. Also the shifter collar is different.
Was the statement,the jack shaft I have is a 70 (last digis), supposed to be last digits?
A little confused. If every thing is 70 or later you should go back fine. A new Inner/Outer primary shouldn't make any difference..Was the bike elect. start to begin with or are you updating? Good luck with it.
tourbox

This bike was never fitted with a starter so here goes.. the bloke I got it from is very unforth coming with history but experience tells me it sat for some time and was allways difficult to start..Im led to believe that the inner primary case is different for belt vs chain and so new cases all round.. as I say ive tried to fit this before and something was fundementally wrong.. The parts I have now are all as per the catologue so Im in with a chance.. Ill post some pics along the way and apreciate any advice .. fist digits on the frame/engine are 7g..cheers

This is the jackshaft I hope..still coming to grips with the site and how to attach images so please bare with me

Attachments

• 20130726_174813[1].jpg
    20130726_174813[1].jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 14
paddwardo
in my parts catalog the starter shaft that ends in 70 (31482-70)
fits 71 to * all models except FXB & FXSB

31310-80A fits 80 to * FXB &FXSB (BELT DRIVE)

Cool Hobbo.. The verniers cannot lie eh..Will keep you posted..The biggest problem I have is the history of the old girl.. Nothing is where it should be and everything has been swapped out Except the frame and engine cases,(matching nos ) But im coming to gripps with it.. Been riding around lately with a little confidence since your advice on how to get the old girl fired up and I can tell you the old shovel stands proud here in western Australia.. The old boys almost tear up lookin at .. Not often seen on the roads here anymore.. Cheers..

Back