free website stats program Electra Glide Radio Crackle | Harley Davidson Forums

Electra Glide Radio Crackle

vjazzp

I purchased a 04 FLHTCI and notice a horrible distortion crackle sound in my audio speakers only when the Radio and engine is running above 2,000rpms. I presume it is a ripple on the DC voltage supply to the radio that is generated from the engine ignition electrical system. I purchased an extended warranty. Are there any suggestion that I can do vs. taking droping the bike off at the dealer for a couple of days and paying the $50.00 copay?
Thanks, Vincenzo

Check spark plug cables are pushed on tight at both ends . They could be arcing.

Spark plug cables and plugs are easy and cheap to replace.

I purchased a 04 FLHTCI and notice a horrible distortion crackle sound in my audio speakers only when the Radio and engine is running above 2,000rpms. I presume it is a ripple on the DC voltage supply to the radio that is generated from the engine ignition electrical system. I purchased an extended warranty. Are there any suggestion that I can do vs. taking droping the bike off at the dealer for a couple of days and paying the $50.00 copay?
Thanks, Vincenzo

Your radio has a feature (AVC) that adjusts the volume up on the radio to compensate for assumed noise as you increase speed. See the attached from my Owner's Manual. If you check yours, should say the same thing. Your radio may be set to increase the volume too much, leading to distortion. Give this a try if the other stuff above is not helping. BTW - sorry about the poor quality of these scans. Was in a hurry.

TQ

Attachments

• Owner's Manual 106-107_Page_1.jpg
    Owner's Manual 106-107_Page_1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Owner's Manual 106-107_Page_2.jpg
    Owner's Manual 106-107_Page_2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 75
I thought this was a static problem caused by ignition.

If this is just a distortion problem , check the speaker cones for tearing and also what TQuentin1 suggested with AVC.

Wow! Super thread, as I too have experienced this STATIC NOISE on my 09 EGC.

The occasion or two that I've been startled by it, was as I'm pulling to a stop(clue!) BUT WITH THE RADIO previously TURNED OFF, which totally doesn't make any sense .. does it???:newsmile038: And the local HD folks (HotRod HD, Muskegon, MI) are at a total loss.

Any other suggestions as to why/how this is occuring?

Thanks, Vincenzo
I changed the spark plug wires and spark plugs using Genuine Screaming Eagle Wires and Plugs. It was difficult seat the wires with the tank not completely removed because It was full of gasoline, acceleration, deceleration and idle is much improved and very smooth and responsive. The crackle is still with me and I will definitely reseat the spark plug wires when I only have to drain a near empty tank. The speakers do not distort or crackle at loud volumes with engine off at or with engine rpms < 1800. The crackle/static is better described as a waveform that reproduced by the audio system. The waveform is in addition to whatever program material I am listening to and positively correlates to increased rpm. The program material sounds fine it isn't distorting or crackling at all. When getting off of interstate, pull in the clutch, and coast the crackle subsides and stops at aroud 2,000 rpms and less. I don't have a speaker swithch on my FLHTCI. Is there anyone who finds themselves unhappy when their bike isn't doin what you want it to do or is dirty? Thanks for the great suggestions and help
Vince

What kind of cell phone do you have? some of them can impart some rather loud static on speakers that are turned off. AT&T and Nextel (particularly push to talk models) have this effect.

Have you considered putting a noise suppressor/filter on the power to the radio? These are used in car audio applications all the time, and they are cheap.

Also, the noise could be picked up by your antenna. Oddly enough there is a noise suppressor for that as well. Actually might be the easier of the two to try.

Back