free website stats program Electra glide front brake advice needed | Harley Davidson Forums

Electra glide front brake advice needed

2001FLHT

2001 FLHT,
Stock front end. I put new seals in brake calipers on both sides of front, also put new kit in master cylinder. The pads are rubbing the rotors. I can pust them back in with a screwdriver but once the brake lever is compressed, they stay against the rotors and will not extract back away from the rotors. You can turn the wheel but it is not free from the pads.

I had a hard time getting them to bleed and I still don't have a tight feeling brake.
Will air cause this or is something wrong inside the brake cylinders?
Any help appreciated.

I have never seen air in the system cause that problem. Disc pads don't actually "retract". They just relax and it is a function of the quad piston sealing ring. Pads will slightly drag by nature. Is it Excessive drag that you have, and not just light scraping?

The Pads won't extract away from the rotors. The pressure is just relieved when you let loose of the lever. However it does sound like you may have air in the line if the lever does not feel good & tight. If your bike has duel calipers refer to the self help section & it will give good advise on bleeding them. If you have access to a "Mighty-Vac" to bleed them that will help.

It is more drag than normal. When you ride it the rotors get hot. The pads are slightly pressing the rotors like you have your hand resting on the lever. Any idea what could be wrong??
If the new seals are swollen for some reason. would that cause this? They are not hard to press back in with a screwdriver. Will they loosen up more if I ride it??
Thanks for your help.

H-D pads?... You should Micrometer them out... they may be thicker than stock. Refer to Shop manual for proper spec's

Not HD pads. I installed new chrome rotors with synthetic pads made for the rotors. They are suppose to be a fitment for the my bike.

If the rotors are getting hot you have a problem. Did the kits and all the parts match up to the old ones. Did anything appear out of place with the kits.(extra part, missing part, o rings slightly different)

Are you using the correct DOT fluid.

Since it's the weekend, Check next week with the Mfg of your kit & explain the problem, have all part #s when you call it's possible they sent the wrong rotors or pads for your set-up... Good Luck !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the parts matched up. The rotors bolted on same as stock. I'm using Dot 5 fluid that is recommended. I have not checked the thickness of the new pads. The old pads are worn so I can't match them up.

You don't think air in the system could cause this??

No I don't

Air in the system will cause a soft lever & lack of braking , but not sticking like you're describing.

You don't think air in the system could cause this??

No, if anything the air could compress and make it easier for the pistons to relax.

Question:
(1) Are the metal pad frames binding in the caliper?
(2) When you say you can manually retract the pads with a screwdriver, can you actually push the pistons back enough to see light(.035") between the pad surface and the rotors.

Back