free website stats program EFI to carb...98 80" EVO with MM inj. | Harley Davidson Forums

EFI to carb...98 80" EVO with MM inj.

yarddog

posted a thread back in Nov about problems with an MM fuel inj. on a 98 road king...I have decided to look into scrapping the fuel inj. and converting to carb...have read several posts and articles in other sites about wiring harness changes,ignition modules,voes switches,etc....wouldnt the easiest thing be to slap an S&S super E and an aftermarket self contained ignition unit on it? (such as a crane,compufire,twintec or whatever)...then just unplug the ECU and all of the sensors?...I realize there may be some other problems I might run into but I feel nothing to major that it couldnt be overcome...any input would be appreciated

someone makes a kit for this i dont remember who but ill look though my mags and see if i can find it ..

but its easiest to buy a kit with the harness and every thing included or close then your know dealing with something done half baked and a lot of problems

yes I had read that article by the Desperados...made things seem alot less complicated...also found a conversion kit online for 1200 bucks...seemed a bit pricey...think I could pull it off cheaper as I'm a mechanic in a truck shop and have access to hoses,clamps,fittings,etc... I'm definately taking everyones feedback and opinions into consideration before starting this project

Go to some swap meets, you can find most of what you need if not all and for cheap money IF you know what your looking for. Check out a swap meet in your area, there a lot of fun if your a wrench and save some $$$:newsmile093:

yes I had read that article by the Desperados...made things seem alot less complicated...also found a conversion kit online for 1200 bucks...seemed a bit pricey...think I could pull it off cheaper as I'm a mechanic in a truck shop and have access to hoses,clamps,fittings,etc... I'm definately taking everyones feedback and opinions into consideration before starting this project
===============================
I would really like to hear about the "after" on that conversion. I read the article and if I had any engine mods planned, I'd go for it.

Breeze that is one of the reasons I am thinkin seriously about the carb conversion...I'd like to do some engine mods in the future but your so limited to what you can do with an MM Evo...with a carb ya can pretty much do whatever ya want (cams,big bore kits,etc.)...I figure if I do go through with this it should run just like any other 80" Evo with an aftermarket carb and ignition...right?

Yea, actually reading that article made it sound too simple. I'd do some searching for results on that swap, and see if it's really that simple. Kinda hard to believe you can just unhook most of the connectors and tuck them outta sight. I think that is a German product.

did some research and came up with a plan...an S&S super E kit (because everyone I ever knew who ran one said they're the greatest thing since sliced bread), a Daytona Twin Tec single fire ignition kit, and Pingle makes a fitting kit to convert fuel inj tanks to carb (so you can install a petcock)...I might also have to install a VOES switch kit and a coil power relay (both recomended by Twin Tec)...I figure the whole project will set me back about 800 bucks or so...the only other thing I'm concerned about is the cam...dont know if the stock cam in the EFI bikes is compatible with a carb cam...if I gotta do a cam swap that'll be another 200 to 300 bucks

Consider also the mikuni hsr 42 its a very good and easy to set up carb

Brian

Back