free website stats program EFI Fuel Pump Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

EFI Fuel Pump Issues

ThunderRogue

Couldn't get this into the EFI Section but I'm looking for support regarding my '04 Heritage's Fuel Pump. It's an intermittent squeal on initial startup only and I'm wondering if that's a sign of coming failure. And if so, what's a good replacement? Quantum Fuel Systems pops up pretty prominent when I do a search. Bike only has like 36K miles on it and I'll add a look inside the tank looks new and no ripples or bubbles when turned on. Rides great.

You should try replacing the fuel filter first, if it is restricted the pump will strain to get fuel thrue it.
We get a few GM vehicles in that have plugged fuel filters and the pump is zinging like crazy to push the fuel thrue it.

You should try replacing the fuel filter first, if it is restricted the pump will strain to get fuel thrue it.
We get a few GM vehicles in that have plugged fuel filters and the pump is zinging like crazy to push the fuel thrue it.
It only squeals like maybe 1 out of every 10 starts. And only after sitting overnight or longer. Never when warm and being ridden. If the filter was clogged, wouldn't it do that every time?

Does your dealer of choice have any black Friday sale or annual customer appreciation sale that you can hold out for?
At this time it seems like preventive maintenance.
So watch for any discount sale that may come up with Christmas coming up.

Does your dealer of choice have any black Friday sale or annual customer appreciation sale that you can hold out for?
At this time it seems like preventive maintenance.
So watch for any discount sale that may come up with Christmas coming up.
Thanks Joel,
As I mentioned, Quantum Fuel Systems comes up prominent when I Googled HD Fuel Pump. I asked if anyone had experience with them. I can get the whole set of Pump, Regulator, Filter, Gasket, and Hose for $66.49 from their website on sale right now. I'm sure no matter what sale the local Dealership comes up with, if any, will come remotely close to that price. I tend to stay away from HD "Stealerships" simply because of the outrageous costs. The only thing I'd have to buy elsewhere would be the screws for the plate and it looks like Amazon or JP Cycles for those right now. Last time I bought a SS screw from the local Dealership it was like $8.00 for one! The local hardware store was six times less! Hard lesson learned right there. So, just really wanted to know if the noise is a precursor to failure, and if anyone had experience with Quantum Fuel Systems or any other aftermarket brands.

I did some searching on other forums and found one guy, in Singapore of all place, that ordered fuel parts from Quantum. His comments on responsiveness, cost and fast shipping were positive but he did not post any comment on fitment, performance, etc. so, I guess one can assume that no news is good news. That's all I got on Quantum.

I know OEM parts can be on the pricey side but when replacing electrical parts or parts like the OP is considering replacing, I tend to go with OEM to avoid any compatability issues with the OEM ECM an d in the case of a fuel pump, verification of fuel delivery pressure would be necessary.

Having said that, the cost of the parts the OP wants to replace is driven by the fuel pump; regulator, filter and hoses aren't that expensivie. Personally, if looking for aftermarket, I would be looking for an AC Delco or Bosch replacement; IIRC, the HD OEM pump is an AC Delco pump used in the automotive industry. I have seen Bosch pumps on EBay for about $60 for touring models and I would probably go with a Bosch replacement; don't know if Bosch offers a replacement for softails.

Note to the OP.
If you replace the fuel pump, regulator, hoses, etc. please report back after the install and 500 miles or so with any issues, or non issue. It would be good information for the other members if/when they find themselves in the same situation. I would also do a fuel pressure test after the install. If this is a DIY project, you will need the service manual for your bike.

Good luck and keep us posted.;)

I did some searching on other forums and found one guy, in Singapore of all place, that ordered fuel parts from Quantum. His comments on responsiveness, cost and fast shipping were positive but he did not post any comment on fitment, performance, etc. so, I guess one can assume that no news is good news. That's all I got on Quantum.

I know OEM parts can be on the pricey side but when replacing electrical parts or parts like the OP is considering replacing, I tend to go with OEM to avoid any compatability issues with the OEM ECM an d in the case of a fuel pump, verification of fuel delivery pressure would be necessary.

Having said that, the cost of the parts the OP wants to replace is driven by the fuel pump; regulator, filter and hoses aren't that expensivie. Personally, if looking for aftermarket, I would be looking for an AC Delco or Bosch replacement; IIRC, the HD OEM pump is an AC Delco pump used in the automotive industry. I have seen Bosch pumps on EBay for about $60 for touring models and I would probably go with a Bosch replacement; don't know if Bosch offers a replacement for softails.

Note to the OP.
If you replace the fuel pump, regulator, hoses, etc. please report back after the install and 500 miles or so with any issues, or non issue. It would be good information for the other members if/when they find themselves in the same situation. I would also do a fuel pressure test after the install. If this is a DIY project, you will need the service manual for your bike.

Good luck and keep us posted.;)
I haven't been able to duplicate the noise for the past several days. Not sure if I'm ready to start replacing things at this point. If it works, it don't need fixin, right?
I'm all about certain things being OEM. I learned that lesson on my GMC vehicle. The GM Engineers designed everything to work with GM parts, or AC Delco. In the case of the fuel pump on my Harley I've done some searching on the QFS parts and the comments have all been positive. Even the big parts houses are offering them as OEM equivalent and very reliable. Since it's at 1/5th the cost or thereabouts and fairly simple to replace I may just go that route. But as mentioned, time will tell. If it starts squawking again I may replace it. But I will replace everything inside including the hose. I'll update again.

A squealing fuel pump could mean filter is getting clogged or the pump bleeds down after sitting for an extended period and has to build pressure which causes the squealing. I agree that if "it isn't broke......................." but if the squealing increase in intensity or you start to get misses at cruise or sluggish acceleration, the pump is probably the issue. It may seem simple to replace but it can be challenging just getting the assembly out of the tank. There is a "trick" required to move the lower part of the assembly with the float away from the pump/regulator in order to remove the assembly from the tank. Without the service manual or knowing the "trick", the assembly is not coming out of the tank. Don't know if the same for softals or not. Patience is the order of the day if/when the day comes. ;)

What ever parts you use to repair your bike is your call and I totally agree that if you pull the fuel supply assembly out, everything should be replaced, i.e., regulator, filter, hoses, etc. Have a couple of the o-rings for the check valve where the supply line connects to the tank; they are easy to pinch and will leak.

Back