free website stats program ECM warranty: thanks chopper! | Harley Davidson Forums

ECM warranty: thanks chopper!

rockman

thanks for the heads up on the 5 year service warranty for emission control components on a bike under 18,ooo miles. left the dealer with the bike and my pockets $500.00 heavier. also a shout out to harley of danbury, ct. no parts charge, no labor charge, no tow charge. every little bit helps through a couple of years of dust collecting on the hammer. red bull. thanks again.

Very nice, always good when you get a nice surprise you were not expecting.

I had the same thing with my bike! Schoch's HD in Strousburg took care of me! Orginally I was guessing this was going to cost at least 500.

HOLY COW !!!!!
This is great news for me!! As I posted a few days ago, I've been having idle/stalling problems intermitently with the 07 RKC. Last night I finally got around to checking the codes (twice) and sure enough, P0131 and P0151 ( o2 sensors, front and rear, lean ) showed up. This struck me as strange because last year I put on the XIEDs to richen it up just a tad...don't want to fool with tuners as the bike is stock except for the XIEDs. I started the tests in the manual, step 1, disconnect o2 sensors, check for voltage...none. step 2 check for short at the o2 sensors, didn't have one (good news) next step, replace ECM (bad news) I thought this would be coming out of my pocket to the tune of ~$500, but armed with this info, I'll be heading down to the dealer with confidence!!!
BTW, after the last cleaning of the IAC, the bike is runnig/idling OK, but the idle is not consistent.
Thanks a bunch !!

good point, Glider. Should have thought of that yesterday, just 5 minutes worth of work anyway. Was going to remove them before a trip to the dealer any way, just to avoid any "issues". :s

well, Glider, you were right. Removed the XIEDs and cleared the codes and they haven't come back. Perhaps that was my idling problem?...only time will tell. At any rate a trip to the dealer was saved. Need to call nightrider and ask about those XIEDs.

Glad you pin pointed the problem before the "Hundred Dollar" trip :D

Nightrider will probably stand behind them and either credit you or replace them.

Glad you saved the time and money too.

jerrybombard, out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on your Xieds? I put a pair on last year and so far I am all smiles. In fact just a couple days ago it was 105 here and I rode to a friends house, then we rode together about 15 miles and we both have the same engine and you could really feel the difference in temp of the engines and pipes. I am glad you got your fault codes fixed up, but I would like to know what made your Xieds kick codes. Had you gotten a lot of water on them? I can see where that heat shrink and maybe even where the screw for adjustment is too might allow moisture in there.

oddly enough, I've had them just about exactly one year. Back on Memorial day (this year) was the first time I had an idle low problem, even stalling. I cleaned the IAC, and that seemed to fix it, for 3-4 weeks. Then it started happening again, so I began looking for codes, got one each for front and rear o2 sensor, both lean. That struck me as odd, because as memory serves me, the XIEDs were supposed to bring the mixture level from 14.6 to about 13.8. Funny thing was, I remeber when i got them, I talked to Nightrider and asked how I would know if they ever went out on me. the man told me that once put on the bike, they could be taken off and the bike would run the same, ie: the system had already been fooled. Only time, he said, when the bike would need to know they were there was during a battery change, which I have not done.
I'm goning to get a hold of them right now, I'll post back.

Back