free website stats program Easy way to keep clean while trailering... | Harley Davidson Forums

Easy way to keep clean while trailering...

neonhomer

I find myself trailering my 04 RK when I go out of town for work. I bring it with me to my job the first day. When I go to the hotel at night, I check in, drag my stuff in the room, and then unload the bike. From there, I ride the bike everywhere, until Friday when I load it back up, go to the job, and then head home from there.

It's 240 miles round trip. I prefer riding when I am down there, as it is cheaper to ride the bike than drive the truck. That and it is more fun! The only thing I hate is my bike gets nasty as hell from the ride down. Bugs and road grime are the main culprits. I don't have an enclosed trailer, but an open deck trailer with wood rail side walls. I don't want to put a front wall on the trailer, as it will hurt my fuel mileage in the truck.

Any ideas to help keep the bugs off the bike? As it is now, I pull the windshield to help with fuel mileage while pulling, and to keep the windshield from getting messed up.

Shrinkwrap? Actually, I'm only half-kidding. How about a cover with a drawstring bottom so it wouldn't blow off? I have one made by Harley. I know about those love bugs. I swear they must have epoxy for blood!

Covering a bike with any sort of cover is very damaging to the bike and the paint from the wind acting against the cover. You end up with chafe marks in places where the cover contacts the bike.

A good Pledge job will enable you to remove bugs with ease.

Good point, guys. I wasn't thinking about that. Ignore the lousy advice.

So, Glider, how's your Johnson & Johnson stock doing? J/K :)

Back