free website stats program Eastern Canada trip | Harley Davidson Forums

Eastern Canada trip

89stroker

Good morning all,
A week from tomorrow I leave for what I believe will be a 10,000+ mile trip for me and the mrs.
I am from Southeastern Saskatchewan Canada and we are headed to the Maritimes, the route to get out there is that I wil drop into North Dakota, then across Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, briefly into Ontario, then through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire to the Southern tip of Maine. We have done this much of the trip in reverse back in 2007, the rest will be a new adventure.
We intend on riding the coast of Maine into New Brunswick, check that out, then tour PEI, then on to Nova Scotia and across to Newfoundland. I have done much research on this but just wanted to hear from some of you on the must see things in these areas. I am pulling my trailer packed with camping gear and intend on camping for as much of the trip as possible.

I will be filling up on fresh seafood and will likely have lobster butter running though my veins upon my return.:D

Good morning all,
A week from tomorrow I leave for what I believe will be a 10,000+ mile trip for me and the mrs.
I am from Southeastern Saskatchewan Canada and we are headed to the Maritimes, the route to get out there is that I wil drop into North Dakota, then across Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, briefly into Ontario, then through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire to the Southern tip of Maine. We have done this much of the trip in reverse back in 2007, the rest will be a new adventure.
We intend on riding the coast of Maine into New Brunswick, check that out, then tour PEI, then on to Nova Scotia and across to Newfoundland. I have done much research on this but just wanted to hear from some of you on the must see things in these areas. I am pulling my trailer packed with camping gear and intend on camping for as much of the trip as possible.

I will be filling up on fresh seafood and will likely have lobster butter running though my veins upon my return.:D

If you're planning to cross over at Niagara Falls, I suggest travelling a little further and crossing at Fort Erie. Not nearly as busy. Tried crossing at Niagara from NY and after 1/2 hr and only going a block people started getting stupid and blocking intersections, we turned around and crossed at Fort Erie 15 minutes later; got there to a 1 car line up.

Crossing over to Newfoundland, I suggest talking the ferry to Argentia. Takes 14 hrs and costs more than twice what the Port-Aux-Basques does but all there is to see is around St. John's anyway. The rest is rocks, trees and some lakes. If you plan on doing the whole ride across Nfl then going in one port and exiting the other will work fine. Just be aware the ferry times aren't always the best.

I don't think there are any bad roads on PEI. If you like fiddle and bagpipe music, there is a concert at the College of Piping in Summerside. Great music, dancers and a comedy skit they do. There's the meeting of the 3 tides at the northeastern most tip of PEI off Lighthouse Road. And yes there is a lighthouse there that offers tours.

Walk on the ocean floor of the Bay of Fundy at Hopewell Rocks in New Brunswick. Reversing Rapids in St. John, NB located right on the main street. My wife's uncle was telling us of an even better location to witness the change in tides for the Bay of Fundy, but I just can't remember where right now.

If you're planning to cross over at Niagara Falls, I suggest travelling a little further and crossing at Fort Erie. Not nearly as busy. Tried crossing at Niagara from NY and after 1/2 hr and only going a block people started getting stupid and blocking intersections, we turned around and crossed at Fort Erie 15 minutes later; got there to a 1 car line up.

Now that's what I call an awesome, time saving tip!

Have a great and safe trip, 89stroker!

Crossing over to Newfoundland, I suggest talking the ferry to Argentia. Takes 14 hrs and costs more than twice what the Port-Aux-Basques does but all there is to see is around St. John's anyway. The rest is rocks, trees and some lakes. If you plan on doing the whole ride across Nfl then going in one port and exiting the other will work fine. Just be aware the ferry times aren't always the best.

I don't think there are any bad roads on PEI. If you like fiddle and bagpipe music, there is a concert at the College of Piping in Summerside. Great music, dancers and a comedy skit they do. There's the meeting of the 3 tides at the northeastern most tip of PEI off Lighthouse Road. And yes there is a lighthouse there that offers tours.

Walk on the ocean floor of the Bay of Fundy at Hopewell Rocks in New Brunswick. Reversing Rapids in St. John, NB located right on the main street. My wife's uncle was telling us of an even better location to witness the change in tides for the Bay of Fundy, but I just can't remember where right now.

Thanks for the tips. To cross to Newfoundland is it a must to make a reservation for the ferry or can a person get there a couple of hours in advance and still get a pass to get on?

Wow...sounds like an awesome trip you have planned. Good ventures to you & your sweetie, take lots of pics & share when you get back. Ride on + be safe!!!

89Stroker, depending on when you are crossing, it may be wise to have a reservation. At one time, you had to have a reservation if you were going to or leaving from Argentia.

As for Newfoundland, there are some great little towns to visit. You have to get off the Trans Canada Highway. The only problem is you usually end up taking the same road in and out.

If you are in Nova Scotia, don't forget about taking a ride around the Cabot Trail. Very scenic.

Crossing into New Brunswick, you can also take the ferry from Saint John over to Digby and then ride around the southern part of the province.

Coming back into New Brunswick on the trip home you might consider going up the east side of New Brunswick to Campbellton. From there you can cross over into Quebec and take a ride around the Gaspe. Very nice trip and very pretty.

Enjoy your trip and ride safe!

Wow...sounds like an awesome trip you have planned. Good ventures to you & your sweetie, take lots of pics & share when you get back. Ride on + be safe!!!

Thanks Iceman. This is a trip I have wanted to do for many years but life has always gotten in the way, every year we say "next year". This time we said we must do this now because you never know what's around the bend.......

89Stroker, depending on when you are crossing, it may be wise to have a reservation. At one time, you had to have a reservation if you were going to or leaving from Argentia.

As for Newfoundland, there are some great little towns to visit. You have to get off the Trans Canada Highway. The only problem is you usually end up taking the same road in and out.

If you are in Nova Scotia, don't forget about taking a ride around the Cabot Trail. Very scenic.

Crossing into New Brunswick, you can also take the ferry from Saint John over to Digby and then ride around the southern part of the province.

Coming back into New Brunswick on the trip home you might consider going up the east side of New Brunswick to Campbellton. From there you can cross over into Quebec and take a ride around the Gaspe. Very nice trip and very pretty.

Enjoy your trip and ride safe!

Thanks for the tips, I planned on Cabot Trail and will consider the other areas you mentioned.

Thanks for the tips. To cross to Newfoundland is it a must to make a reservation for the ferry or can a person get there a couple of hours in advance and still get a pass to get on?

You have to make a reservation online, by phone or it can be done in person before you line up to get on the ferry. Their website: Marine Atlantique | Marine Atlantic

We were able to reserve by phone 2 hrs ahead when we were leaving Nfl. The ferry doesn't fill as fast coming back.

While in Nova Scotia there is the Louisburg Fortress on Cape Breton Island not far from the ferry crossing near Sydney. Will take up 1/2 a day to tour.

If you had relatives cross over to Canada, or even New York, from overseas in the early to mid 1900's you could stop in at Pier 21 in Halifax to see a copy of the passenger lists from the ships. Found my dad's parents and siblings when they came to Canada in 1926. If I'd have known the proper spelling for my mom's dad, I could have seen his from when he entered at New York.

If you get a chance stop in at Old Quebec City. You can wander the old cobblestone streets and take a tour of The Citadel. The Citadel is still a fully functional military base. You could catch a ferry to Old Quebec City at Levis, Que. and avoid having to drive through Quebec City.

Back