free website stats program Dyna's vertical alignment tool | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna's vertical alignment tool

Hi.D.

Must I really use an inclinometer to make vertical adjustment? Or a spirit level or other carpenter's level is sufficient?

With the seat removed and the bike on the block and level, the frame members are perfectly horizontal using my carpenter's level and the front wheel disk brake is vertical. So, I figure that I can rely on my level to adjust correctly the vertical of the back end.

Am I right or wrong?

I've always used basic levels, and road tests to determine alignment. One important thing I've found is centering the wheel in the swingarm. There's at least one article in the self help and tips section.

I bought an inclinometer that had a magnetic base for doing my dyna it did not cost much but i think a good spirit level should be sufficient for the job also
Thinking about doing the job having 2 inclinometers one on each brake disc and a spirit level on the frame would help make any adjustments easier and quicker

Brian

Thank for the answers,

I will check it carefully tomorrow morning. I know that the rear wheel is a little bit off verticaly as the bubble in my level is not fully centered when put against the rear brake disk; and it is correct on the front one and perfectly horizontal on the top frame tubes.

But, is it so important for a few degrees off since the bike is stable on the road and goes straight ahead without holding the handlebars?

And does it need to be checked often or just when changing motot mounts or suspecting something wrong with handling?

This is my first Dyna, and I bought it used last year. My other Harley before this one was an 1980 Electra-Glide and there was nothing like this to check in these times.

Thank again

Remi

If the rear disc is off a wee bit then it can be adjusted by the adjuster in the centre of the engine ensure when checking you rotate the wheel a wee bit just in case the disc is not level on the wheel i check in 1/4 turns
As the rubber mounts can wear and distort it is a good visual indication that the mounts are good or bad the next time you check the alignment
I tend to check once a year just to ensure everything is good

Brian

Do check both the front and rear isolators(motor and tranny ) mounts before any readings JMO

Back