free website stats program Dyna wide glide no spark | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna wide glide no spark

You also need power going FROM the coil. Test the coil, it's possibly broke down internally.

Also on your model you have a cam sensor & a crank positioning sensor. If you have a manual there should be test for them.
tourbox

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output.

Thanks all of you for the info ,I checked the coil and it checked out good , my next question is how do I check crank sensor and the cam sensor ?

Try pulling the crank sensor and cleaning it.
They have been known to collect metal shavings and fail.

Not sure on a 99 but this may help.
HD02FXD012.gif

#6 is your sensor

Last edited:
I wonder if this bike has a onboard computer , where you press the trip button of the speedo and you can retrieve codes ?

Back