free website stats program Dyna vs Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna vs Sportster

danthern

I'm new to Harleys and recently bought a 2010 FXDC that I am absolutley obsessed with. 3 days ago I bought my wife a new Sporty 48. Very good looking bike and perfect for her small stature. I rode it home from the dealer and have ridden it a couple times since. The difference in my Super Glide and her 48 is like a old VW and a new Mercedes. I guess my question is should the difference be so obvious in the ride? I realize the motor, chassis, tranny etc are signifigantly different but holy (EDIT) I didn't realize how nice my Dyna is until I rode the Sporty. Not knocking the 48, just want to be sure there's not something wrong with it.

Of course I'd never say that to her.....

Last edited by a moderator:
just want to be sure there's not something wrong with it.

There's probably nothing wrong.
Before I took demo rides of all the different frames available I would not have thought there was so much difference also. Riding height, center of gravity, isolation mounts are just a few differences between all the families of frames.
I was shocked just like you were at the Huge difference.

That is probably why my father-in-law told me to at least get a Dyna, since my first thought was just to get a Sporty. He told me I would enjoy it, but would be cramped for the 40 mile ride I take back and forth to work most days. Not knocking the sportys as I never rode one, but I do love my Dyna and can say I will have it for a long time.

Glad to hear you all say that. Makes me think thats just the way it is. She hasn't driven my Glide but when she does I suspect she's gonna want to trade up. I hope they still have that deal where they give the the MSRP within a year or something like that on a trade-up. I was actually looking at a Sporty when I was getting ready to buy mine and a guy walked up and said "do yourself a favor and get the Dyna. You'll be glad you did". He was right...

I was actually looking at a Sporty when I was getting ready to buy mine and a guy walked up and said "do yourself a favor and get the Dyna. You'll be glad you did". He was right...

Amazing that they sell ANY Sportsters with guys like that lurking in dealerships!

:lolrolling

Point taken, but in this case I'm glad he lurked,,,,,,

I bought one of each. so the dealer did alright

Last edited by a moderator:
If i had to choose between the dyna and the sporty i think id choose the sporty
having ridden it the length and bredth of the uk and a fair bit into mainland europe it performed well it is a real treat on the twisty roads
after being on the dyna or softail the sporty does feel very small but i still like it

Brian

:lero
If i had to choose between the dyna and the sporty i think id choose the sporty
having ridden it the length and bredth of the uk and a fair bit into mainland europe it performed well it is a real treat on the twisty roads
after being on the dyna or softail the sporty does feel very small but i still like it

Brian

Isn't that about like riding around one of our smaller states?

Used to ride a Sporty, don't knock them, they're meant to be a little rough and ready that's what it is all about. I used to do 300 mile round trips weekly on mine, I loved it, only changed to a bigger bike because I get 'white finger' from the vibes. Sporties do suit European roads. Weren't they designed to take on the Cafe Racers?

:lero

Isn't that about like riding around one of our smaller states?

Perhaps it is but a sporty would leave any of the big twins behind on the type of roads we have around here
with a set of throw over bags and a rack and a wee bit of thought it can be used for longer trips
as i also have a dyna and a softail i am in a position to compare a wee bit between the different models

Brian

Back