free website stats program Dyna rim suggestion | Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna rim suggestion

DarinDan

I had to take my bike in due to a driver backing into the front end of my bike. Local shop true up my wheel but is still has a little wobble to it. Might be looking at a new front rim coming from my local guy after the inspection. So with the news I was thinking about going with the original OEM rim or maybe thinking outside the box and looking at an upgrade. Had a hard time trying to find pricing for a new rim. Looked at a couple of sights and found a couple of ideas to include fat spoke rims and a couple of custom rims. I was only able to find one sight that had the OEM rims for a price between 499-550. Thinking if I am going to have to pay for the original OEM rim might look at spending a few dollars more. Looking for anyone with experience that might have any good suggestions. I am open to spoke, fat spokes or custom wheels. (09 FXDC) Ready to get this done so I can go on some long rides this summer.

Might take a look at Ronnies HD and Lake Shore HD. Ronnie has microfiche showing the various parts along with list and his prices. Complete wheels are in line with what you mention but a rim only is quite a bit less.

Haven't done business with Ronnies but Lake Shore was fine.

While I think wire spokes are more attractive i lean towards cast wheels for the ease of repair. I carry what I need to plug and inflate a tire, and haven't had to use them whereas the only flat I've had was on a spoked wheel that took two days to get a tube, plus labor. Been a bit spooked after that.

If you haven't checked Harley's Parts and Accessories Catalog, you might want to before deciding. Harley sells the Typhoon wheels that could really dress up your Dyna. The above places would have them at a discount, but you still have to figure in the installation kits and brake rotors, and possibly a rear pulley. However, if you will be taking longer rides (where these might be) the peace of mind that comes with cast wheels might make the changeover worthwhile.

Just my 2¢.

I looked at Ronnies and it gives a great break down of the parts listing. I noticed that in another reply when I looked in the self help section. I have seen the typhoon wheels. They look sweet. I have thought about the cast wheels and ease of repair. When you start looking at a set it runs an easy 2-3K in cost. Sure would look nice though.

Found some great ideas. Most of the ones I found were an exchange program. Did find some typhoons that were painted black. Looked real cool.

Back