free website stats program Dual compound tires other mfg ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Dual compound tires other mfg ?

cowpoke

Dual compound tires other mfg ?

Are there any other mfg of the dual compound tires like the ones on the Glides ?
Also wonder if there are any for the front tire as well.

I don't know of other brands, but Dunlop now has 3 dual compound lines of tires for HD. The 407/408 that come stock and say "HarleyDavidson" on the sidewall, the American Elite which is much cheaper, and the newest Sportmax Roadsmart II, which are only in the 17" & 18" sizes of newer bikes. I have an American Elite on the rear of my E.G. and quite happy with mileage and performance.

I don't know of other brands, but Dunlop now has 3 dual compound lines of tires for HD. The 407/408 that come stock and say "HarleyDavidson" on the sidewall, the American Elite which is much cheaper, and the newest Sportmax Roadsmart II, which are only in the 17" & 18" sizes of newer bikes. I have an American Elite on the rear of my E.G. and quite happy with mileage and performance.

Good to know Pete, I was looking today at the Michelin Commander II, any thoughts?
I just don't think I get the mileage out of the Dunlop.

You will absolutely not go wrong with the American Elite. Installed a pair a month ago and wished I knew about them last tire change.

I am currently running an Elite on the front have a couple thousand miles on it it's holding up well and rides nice. No complaints.

If I ever waer ot the rear on my trike I will put on any thing but Dunlop, the rear tires are T rated passenger car tires same as stock on a Toyota Camry, I have many options cheaper than HD Dunlop @ 139,00 per tire

I had the American Elite on the rear of my sporty when I got the bike worked very well in warm and dry and I could push the sporty hard on the windy roads
But once the weather got cold and the roads wet I found grip to be lacking a wee bit but then I was usually riding hard I switched to avon for better cold wet grip but I will not get the mileage of harder rubber

Brian

Good to know Pete, I was looking today at the Michelin Commander II, any thoughts?
I just don't think I get the mileage out of the Dunlop.

Jeff; Sorry for the delay, I wanted to wait until I could give you numbers from my use. '07 E.G.C., 220 lb, mostly one up riding on gently curving GA roads. Mostly accelerate and stop like the old man I am, but usually redline 1-2-3 at least once a month (from a roll).
Two Dunlop 402's on rear, avg. 7.4k miles, 402 front 14.8k. One Dunlop E3 on rear, 12k, one E3 on front 17k and still @ 50% tread.
American Elite on rear has 4k on it, with 1/32" (of 6/32 new) gone.
I have no Michelin experience. I seem to be Dunlop loyal for price and value.

Thanks Pete good to know. I'm down to the Michelin commander ll or the American Elite, time for a coin toss.

Back