free website stats program (Dry Boots) Soft Lowers vs Boot Gators | Harley Davidson Forums

(Dry Boots) Soft Lowers vs Boot Gators

Dr.Evil

2005 FLSTC
I have soft lowers, but have not used them in the rain yet. Does anyone know if they work to keep boots dry in a heavy rain?

The HD Gators, size XL will not streatch over the back of my boot very well, and I am only a s11.

The soft lowers will help a lot but you'll still bet some rain on your feet, just not as much as without them.

I tested the HD Gators I have with and without the hard lowers (I don't have soft lowers but I would figure they would be similar.)

NO LOWERS: With my feet on the floor boards (flat) and my Roadgear pants OVER my gators my feet were dry for 1 hour in what I would call "regular rain".
(Car wipers on "normal" at 65 mph). But that is as long as my commute was so I didn't try to find the limit.

I don't think lowers make any difference with gators and rain gear on, assuming you feet are flat on floor boards. I think lowers would work better than they do if you had no traffic. Vehicles going by you with road spray in the rain: it hits from every direction.

Having your feet on pegs will get your boots wet with gators as the water works up underneath. But, sometimes you have to change your leg position for comfort over staying dry.

I use NEOS over boots. I wear a size 14 boot and the boots slide right into an XL NEOS boot. I have tried Totes and nylon boot pull overs, but there is nothing like the NEOS for staying dry.
Ken

I use NEOS over boots. I wear a size 14 boot and the boots slide right into an XL NEOS boot. I have tried Totes and nylon boot pull overs, but there is nothing like the NEOS for staying dry.
Ken

Thanks, everyone for the information.

I have done some looking into the NEOS boot covers as well. They have several different modles, can you give me the one that works well with hot exhaust pipes.

I will not be able to get them by my trip this Friday, so I will have to use the lowers and see if they help. Who knows, it may not rain, Yah!

The soft lowers do a pretty good job but feet will get wet. With any luck you might be right if you prepare for rain it may never rain. Have a great trip and be safe......:)

Mine are the Voyager style. The Uptowner looks like a low cut boot that should not have an issue with exhaust pipe heat.
Ken

All I ever wear for riding is waterproof boots. Bates and Cochran make some good ones. You never have to worry about wet feet. With lowers you probably won't even need rain pants.

Airat makes a good set of boots for a reasonable price. I rode back from Quebec city in the rain most of the day (14 hours to cover 800 miles) about 11 hours in the rain. My feet were dry when I got home.

I really like my boots, I where them to work every day, but they are not by any means water proof. I would like to buy boots for rain, but that does not seam practical for my situation. I think covers would be the best option.

Mine are the Voyager style. The Uptowner looks like a low cut boot that should not have an issue with exhaust pipe heat.
Ken
The Villager is a light weight version, and sells for $52 I think this is the one, thanks Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Back