free website stats program Drive belt replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive belt replacement

jmckjd

I'm helping a budy replace his drive belt on a 06 electra glide I need some tip on how to get the pivot bolt out and replace it torque values and general knowledge that would be helpful

Alot of work, I agree with Jeff, The manual is invaluable for a job like this

Agree with the rec for the Factory Service Manual. The first thing to do is to support the rear end of the tranny. As soon as you push the swing arm pivot out of the frame, the tranny will move and may even make it hard to push all the way out of the the tranny. Just make sure the back of the tranny is supported BEFORE you start taking the pivot shaft out.

Cheers,

TQ

My service manual takes two pages to cover swing arm pivot removal. That is in addition to the page about rear wheel removal.

I'm helping a budy replace his drive belt on a 06 electra glide I need some tip on how to get the pivot bolt out and replace it torque values and general knowledge that would be helpful
service manual, too many things to guess at, Go to you tube and watch a video if you cant get a manual.

The video dbmg posted is the way to do it; still need to support the trans though. Removing the primary has quirks of its own and a good idea to replace IPB seal in the process, replace o-ring at the housing cover at the compensator, sealing the locking tabs at the inner primary bolts, wrapping the main shaft splines with painter's tap to protect against nicking the IPB seal, etc. Get the HD service manual for the bike as has been suggested; step by step instructions and all torque values are there. There are some "special" tools or work arounds required for this job. Not rocket science but it will require service manual, man hours and the right tools for success. The end game is replacing the drive belt but there are several things to pay attention to getting in and out.;)

The video dbmg posted is the way to do it; still need to support the trans though. Removing the primary has quirks of its own and a good idea to replace IPB seal in the process, replace o-ring at the housing cover at the compensator, sealing the locking tabs at the inner primary bolts, wrapping the main shaft splines with painter's tap to protect against nicking the IPB seal, etc. Get the HD service manual for the bike as has been suggested; step by step instructions and all torque values are there. There are some "special" tools or work arounds required for this job. Not rocket science but it will require service manual, man hours and the right tools for success. The end game is replacing the drive belt but there are several things to pay attention to getting in and out.;)
I know with mine I also replaced my rear shifter arm as well as outer primary bearings and seals. While its off might as well take advantage .

F.K.

Back