free website stats program Drive Belt Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive Belt Noise

I have a 2K FXR4 with 5300 mi.I adjusted the drive belt according to the manual and it still has a chirping noise on decel.I tried making a little tighter and then a bit more loose and still have the chirping noise.I readjusted to specs and still a little chirping.Will this do any harm ? Will the belt wear in after a few miles after being adjusted ? I just don't want any harm done to the belt.Any and all suggestions will be appriciated.
Thanks
Gregg

I have a 2K FXR4 with 5300 mi.I adjusted the drive belt according to the manual and it still has a chirping noise on decel.I tried making a little tighter and then a bit more loose and still have the chirping noise.I readjusted to specs and still a little chirping.Will this do any harm ? Will the belt wear in after a few miles after being adjusted ? I just don't want any harm done to the belt.Any and all suggestions will be appriciated.
Thanks
Gregg

I had belt chirping on my Dyna. I tightened and loosened with no luck. I finally found my wheel was adj. slightly to one side. When I got it right, it went away.

How does belt tracking look in the rear pulley. Hugging strongly to one side or do you see tooth area on each side of belt. Could be rear axle is not square to rear folk. Mine was slightly off from factory and belt would hug left side strongly. It did not take much either.

How does belt tracking look in the rear pulley. Hugging strongly to one side or do you see tooth area on each side of belt. It did not take much either.

Hoople is right on here and (it didn't take much).... may I suggest to ONLY "rotate" the tire in the forward direction of travel when adjusting..... You should get it to be centered on the pulley and see a smidgen of silver on either side of belt, then it is perfect....

careful not too tight on the belt.... too tight will make noise and is also hard on tranny bearings.

I have never had one of my many bikes make it over 40/45 thousand miles on a belt.... a rock or a break too common for me...

signed....BUBBIE

The last bad one, was on my 2006 sporty, made it to 30,k and broke one morning in front of my home/garage....That i considered "My Lucky day" as no tow needed...

Hoople is right on here and (it didn't take much).... may I suggest to ONLY "rotate" the tire in the forward direction of travel when adjusting..... You should get it to be centered on the pulley and see a smidgen of silver on either side of belt, then it is perfect....

careful not too tight on the belt.... too tight will make noise and is also hard on tranny bearings.

I have never had one of my many bikes make it over 40/45 thousand miles on a belt.... a rock or a break too common for me...

signed....BUBBIE

The last bad one, was on my 2006 sporty, made it to 30,k and broke one morning in front of my home/garage....That i considered "My Lucky day" as no tow needed...

Had problems with a Sturgis model way back when H D was new to belts, so we used a dial indicator after adjusting the belt to see how true the belt was tracking very interesting what your eyes dont tell you but what a gauge will, Jack

Try adjusting the belt after it is at operating temp (like ride it a while), then adjust belt to the loose side of the spec, like 7/16". The pulley's expand, the belt doesn't. I also use 2 x 8' flouresent blubs on each side of the rear tire (be careful not to break them), and see if the rear wheel is inline with the front wheel. Usually loosening the drive belt a little will take care of the noise.

Thorns

Try adjusting the belt after it is at operating temp (like ride it a while), then adjust belt to the loose side of the spec, like 7/16". The pulley's expand, the belt doesn't. I also use 2 x 8' flouresent blubs on each side of the rear tire (be careful not to break them), and see if the rear wheel is inline with the front wheel. Usually loosening the drive belt a little will take care of the noise.

Thorns

I noticed the belts will make a chirp when its raining if not adjusted correctly

This may be the noise my buddy is hearing on his 05 Road King. I thought it was coming from his clutch on decel, but it could very easily be coming from his drive belt. I also know he just had it adjusted and the mechanic said it was to tight, so he loosened it.

This may be the noise my buddy is hearing on his 05 Road King. I thought it was coming from his clutch on decel, but it could very easily be coming from his drive belt. I also know he just had it adjusted and the mechanic said it was to tight, so he loosened it.

It All Comes down to this????

Did it make the noise before the mechanic adjusted the belt????

signed....BUBBIE

Back