free website stats program Drive belt change | Harley Davidson Forums

Drive belt change

Babe

I have a 2001 Duece I am changing drive belt, I am an automotive mechanic so following My HD repair manual I have had no problems until it tells me to remove 2 starter mounting bolts to remove the primary case, I was hoping that I dont need to remove the oil reservoir but I cant see how to get to those starter bolts. Am I missing something or am I just lazy. any help would be appreciated, Thank You, Babe Seals

Yea, you need to take the oil tank off,but it's really not that hard to do.Just label all lines,and while you got it off wash it out good with kerosine.

I use a long snap-on ball allen (1/2'' drive) with a long 1/2'' extension and sneak under the oil tank to remove the two bolts, it's tight but it can be done.

Ive managed to get round the oil tank by using 3/8" drive allen heads and long extensions i can half fit the any sockets or allen/torx heads that allows them to move about a little on the end of the extension to get a good fit in the bolt head
only problem is if they have been on a while i might need a wee bit of pipe on the end of the t bar to get enough torque to get them to move

Brian

thanks to everyone those starter bolts were the main thing stressing me, but the ball head allen with wobble head extension worked perfect. I love this dang website. THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP,
Babe Seals :D

Back