free website stats program Drilling new holes in windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

Drilling new holes in windshield

AZDave

Has anyone ever drilled new holes in their windshield? I want to see if moving it up two inches will help stop the head bouncing. I know its not coming up around the tank. I know its over the top so I thought I would drill new holes move it up, try it, and if it works, order a new taller one. I think I will need a 20 as my 09 Heritage came with an 18.

Pretty easy to do. Mark the holes, start with a small drill 1/8 make sure the drill is sharp.
Put the the spot you marked on a peace of wood an drill do the same for each hole. Next move up to a bigger drill keep doing this until u you reach the hole size you need. Take your time . Hope this helped

:D
Has anyone ever drilled new holes in their windshield? I want to see if moving it up two inches will help stop the head bouncing. I know its not coming up around the tank. I know its over the top so I thought I would drill new holes move it up, try it, and if it works, order a new taller one. I think I will need a 20 as my 09 Heritage came with an 18.

Do you have the room at the bottom? Moving it down makes sense to me, but there not much room to move it up without the other holes showing. Maybe I'm confused and having a senior moment. Happens all the time. :D

When drilling through plastic of any kind best to use drill bits for wood and kepp the drill slow if it goes to fast the bit heats up and the plastic melts and youll end up with a black bubble round the edge of the hole

Brian

The other thing to keep in mind is make sure the hole is smooth, when properly drilled the hole will have the surface "work hardened" and clean, so less prone to cracking.

I have used a piece of masking tape over the area to be drilled and use slow speed

I've worked with a lot of Plexiglass and Lexan in the medical field and here is one way to keep the drill bit from rifleing thru the plastic as the drill bit breaks thru. Take a look at the end of the bit and you will see that the flutes where they come to the point curve back with the shape of the flute. At the cutting edge grind a small flat out to the corner of the drilling area, equal on both sides. This will keep the corners of the drill from catching on the thin plastic and grabbing (rifeling) thru. As was stated before use slow RPM and light pressure. In machinist term this is known a roseing the tip.

Back