free website stats program Dreaded shimmy or shake or wobble | Harley Davidson Forums

Dreaded shimmy or shake or wobble

Pipeman15

Hello guys, having a serious issue with a 2008 softail deluxe. Was riding with the wife yesterday and it all the sudden started shaking like crazy. Side to side motion. Stopped to see if I could see anything wrong with it and couldn’t find anything. When we got going again it was fine for about 2-3 miles then it started again and wouldn’t stop. Speed didn’t seem to change it at all. I do have laced wheels and my tires are about 4 years old but they seem ok tread wise. I don’t hear any noise from the wheels. It was crazy though. I can’t really tell if it’s coming from the front or back but the whole bike is shaking. Any ideas?? Thank you for any input on what to look for ahead of time

Possible steering neck bearing, tires not balanced, rear tire out of alignment (drive belt loose, or not centered)....several possibilities.

I’m starting with new tires and bearings. For some reason I don’t think I’m lucky enough to have that be it though

Check your spokes. It can happen suddenly, one loose spoke puts strain on all the rest, a little side shake started by a bump rapidly escalates into your symptoms. Easy way to check is get wheel off ground, and tap each spoke with a small wrench. A difference in sound tells you which is loose. Tight spokes make "tink" sound, loose make "tonk".

Before any dis mounting check the air pressure.
I had a bad wobble and was caused by a very low front tire.

I haven’t had a chance to check them yet. I’m working a 24 today. Hoping to either check them tmrw or get it over to the Indy. It’s about 3 miles from my house. It shakes so bad I don’t know if I even want to ride it over there

Back