free website stats program dragging clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

dragging clutch

clutchdragger

I have an 88 fxr with a Bandit Super Clutch that drags. I have replaced hubs, plates and drive keys. I have followed adjustments to no avail. I can only acheive .060" thou. at the pressure plate and I dont feel that this is enough disengagement for this clutch. Would a hydraulic clutch give me more disengagement or are there more things I can check/adjust?

Are you making your preliminary adjustment at the clutch pushrod in the center of the clutch?

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Is the OLD clutch cable and clutch lever LOOSE-BENT or do you have any modifications like LEATHER handle covers that would NOT allow FULL stroke-pull on the clutch its self????

I have found ON OLDER or well used cable-handle bikes,,, they NEED a little MORE PULL the easiest spot to remedy is the LEVER it's self....

TRY THIS,,,,,,, adjust the clutch cable HANDLE LEVER to "0" TIGHT,,,, not enough to allow the clutch to slip but TIGHT ... make sure ALL the slack is taken out.....
THEN start bike and TRY the clutch...... if NO HANG UP you will see where you need to go from here.......

I HAVE MODIFIED a clutch handle for MORE pull by REMOVING some of the metal BETWEEN the handle stop and on the clutch lever its self...1/8 of an inch makes a BIG difference in clearance....

LET ME KNOW IF THIS gives you RESULTS

signed....BUBBIE

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Is the OLD clutch cable and clutch lever LOOSE-BENT or do you have any modifications like LEATHER handle covers that would NOT allow FULL stroke-pull on the clutch its self????

I have found ON OLDER or well used cable-handle bikes,,, they NEED a little MORE PULL the easiest spot to remedy is the LEVER it's self....

TRY THIS,,,,,,, adjust the clutch cable HANDLE LEVER to "0" TIGHT,,,, not enough to allow the clutch to slip but TIGHT ... make sure ALL the slack is taken out.....
THEN start bike and TRY the clutch...... if NO HANG UP you will see where you need to go from here.......

I HAVE MODIFIED a clutch handle for MORE pull by REMOVING some of the metal BETWEEN the handle stop and on the clutch lever its self...1/8 of an inch makes a BIG difference in clearance....

LET ME KNOW IF THIS gives you RESULTS

signed....BUBBIE
will try this and get back to you.

Back