free website stats program Double Shift To First | Harley Davidson Forums

Double Shift To First

SoonerSoftail

About half the time when starting in neutral I have to hit the shift lever twice to get into first. Warm or cold. The first "shift" makes the neutral light go off but it doesn't go into gear. The second "shift" puts it into gear. Sometimes on the second "shift" I can hear/feel it go into gear, sometimes it makes no sound and I only know it's in gear by letting out the clutch. Once it's in gear it's in. Shifts perfectly into first from second every time.

2005 Heritage, 6800 miles. I've had it about a month and it had 5500 when I got it. About 100 miles ago I changed primary oil to Mobil 1 20/50 V-Twin and the tranny oil to Mobil 1 75/90. I don't know what was in it before. I also adjusted the clutch by the book and lubed the linkage while I was at it. No difference.

Any ideas?

I also adjusted the clutch by the book and lubed the linkage while I was at it. No difference.

Any ideas?

Both the under Derby cover adjustment and Free play cable adjustment?
How much free play do you have in the clutch lever purch when the engine is Hot?

Hoop!

How is the linkage from the shifter and are you sure the height of the shifter peg is such that you get enough travel to shift it properly?

Sometimes moving/adjusting the pedal height by pulling it off the shaft and positioning it either higher or lower will appear as a cure for the problem shifting. Remember you can usually move your foot down better than lifting it up.

How is the linkage from the shifter and are you sure the height of the shifter peg is such that you get enough travel to shift it properly?

Sometimes moving/adjusting the pedal height by pulling it off the shaft and positioning it either higher or lower will appear as a cure for the problem shifting. Remember you can usually move your foot down better than lifting it up.
Linkage fittings feel tight. Just ordered new chrome linkage so if it's a problem it should go away. Bottom of the pedal is about an inch above my foot riding on the floorboard.

The point at which it actually shifts is what you are concerned about. Notice when you ride if you have to "reach" with your foot or if it drops in easily without "reaching" meaning it could be the peg height in need of repositioning.

About half the time when starting in neutral I have to hit the shift lever twice to get into first. Warm or cold. The first "shift" makes the neutral light go off but it doesn't go into gear. The second "shift" puts it into gear. Sometimes on the second "shift" I can hear/feel it go into gear, sometimes it makes no sound and I only know it's in gear by letting out the clutch. Once it's in gear it's in. Shifts perfectly into first from second every time.
Any ideas?

I notice you use the TERM "HIT" the shift lever.......

I have ALWAYS shifted (all gears),,, HOLDING shifter INTO THAT POSITION.... until** FULL engagement is completed....

Granting mine goes into 1st with just a tap but i use the FULL STROKE and HOLD through out ALL my shifting..... THIS MAKES sure the gear slides into full position....

WHILE I apply the "shift n hold" method ,, once in a while I feel the gear continue to make FULL ENGAGEMENT not often but on occasion...

**try HOLDING your foot shifter (one shift position) while slowly letting out the clutch and please REPORT the results here..

It should complete the shift into first when the clutch starts to let out while holding the shifter tight down at bottom of shift stroke.........

DOES it go into the first gear? and or did it pop n go in? or grind? or none of the above???

It should complete the shift into first when the clutch starts to let out while holding the shifter tight down at bottom of shift stroke.........

If the bike was this way from the start,,, IT could be a bent or misaligned shifting fork...

All shifting actions should be EASY and SMOOTH.... IF forced to shift, damage WILL (can) be done...

I have watched people STOMPING on the shift lever then wondering WHY it doesn't work properly......

OR a person climbing UNINVITED on board JAMMING the lever for fun...

IF THEY SURVIVE THE TONGUE LASHING maybe learning WRONG....

HOPE some of this will help you out...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

I just couldn't think of any other word. I'm very easy on the clutch, shifter and throttle. And the brakes too unless I have no choice. I'm the real easy rider. I don't hold the lever down though, just cycle it in one continuous motion. I'll try that.

If that doesn't do it, there's a possibility that the shifter forks in the trans may need an adjustment.

OK. This doesn't make any sense to me. And I'm a pretty good mechanic. I got the new Kuryakyn linkage and installed it just now. Adjusted it to the same length as the stock linkage and same pedal height. Stock fittings had good movement, no binding, and were not worn. With the new linkage it shifted perfectly on a test ride. Suppose she just wanted to be pretty?

Back