free website stats program dont be to eager to get on the road | Harley Davidson Forums

dont be to eager to get on the road

lorne

while i am up here in B.C. helping out my folks with their fire damage home i am stuck in a cage for a while. i am sure that most of you feel the same i do when driving a cage in the fact that "riding a bike makes us more aware when we are in a cage" i fully believe that, and it paid off today TWICE. now that the weather has turned good more and more bikes are out and about enjoying the reason we all ride.
while driving down the road in a yellow care with the headlights on and the sun behind the clouds, i saw guy on a bike pull up to the stop sign (i did not have one) i noticed that he did not put his feet down and only looked to the right (i was to his left). and yup he goosed it and crossed in front of me so i locked up my break so he would not be my new hood ornament. then later in the afternoon the exact same thing with a different bike on a different road.

i put this experience down to people just waiting to get the bike out on the roads and enjoy the ride. but lets not get too eager

glad i ride a bike to help me watch when i am in a cage.

let's all make it home to talk about the ride not what could of happened

ride safe

All great points Lorne. We all need to pay attention more.

As you see how most drive cars unfortunately they ride bikes the same way. Unaware of anything else but themselves. The tremendous amount of distractions while driving and riding that are self induced amaze me. This is why my opinion is that 90% of motorcycle incidents are completely avoidable...
So both of these guys are lucky that you are a aware motorcyclist, for you avoided them being 2 more statistics.....

Good post Lorne. Thanks. I guess most of us ride and drive and I agree with you that riding a motorcycle makes me more aware of MC's when I am driving my truck.
One other note here, (it's just me I know) but when I am on the mc and someone does NOT pull out in front of me (but could have), I give them a little 'thankyou' wave as I pass by. Just hoping they realize they did a good thing by LOOKING!!

Bill

Gotta remember, sometimes trying to save a couple seconds could cost you and your loved ones a lifetime.
Always take that extra time to stop and really look and make sure you actually see.

One other note here, (it's just me I know) but when I am on the mc and someone does NOT pull out in front of me (but could have), I give them a little 'thankyou' wave as I pass by. Just hoping they realize they did a good thing by LOOKING!!

Bill

I do the same also...........:s

Great Post Lorne,

I gotta admit and shamefully so, I was one of those boneheads this weekend. Not a life threatening event, but could have easily been one. I rolled through and cut a cager off.

Stupidty at its' best. Even as it happened, I was so chapped at myself for doing it, I shook my head in disbelief. At the light, I apologized to the young man I cut off. I think that shocked him even more.

:wall <---------bonehead

Great Post Lorne,

I gotta admit and shamefully so, I was one of those boneheads this weekend. Not a life threatening event, but could have easily been one. I rolled through and cut a cager off.

Stupidty at its' best. Even as it happened, I was so chapped at myself for doing it, I shook my head in disbelief. At the light, I apologized to the young man I cut off. I think that shocked him even more.

:wall <---------bonehead

Motorcycles and mistakes just don't mix well at all. Often I have to remind myself to get my head back into the game. Things can change so fast.

Very good post Lorne and good responses here, we as riders tend to be more observant sadly than our 4 wheel counter parts, seeing is believing keep an eye out and keep your head moving at all times and do look twice:s

Yeah, unfortunately I saw the aftermath of a motorcycle vs car today after work. Saw the bike mangled in front of a driveway on a main street. Ambulance, stretcher, and a couple fire trucks....

Whatever happened, how or why, the motorcyclist got the short end of the stick.

Be safe out there.

Dave

Back