free website stats program Don’t always follow the Service Manual | Harley Davidson Forums

Don’t always follow the Service Manual

AZDave

Well today after 6 weeks of letting my foot heal from laying my bike down
I got out my new HD Service Manual and the tools. I needed to replace the front light bracket assembly. Step by step, which started with removing the seat, pulling a fuse and removing the gas tank, unplugging light connections and a bunch more stuff. When I was finally standing with the lights in my hands I still had to cut the two gray wires. The two that I did not want to cut but should have in the beginning. I think the manual was written with bench rate hours in mind. I know, it will help me down the road, but don’t give up on common since like I did today. At least I know now what she looks like under the hood.

The service manual is just a reference tool...and any procedure you follow should be READ and understood BEFORE gathering "ART" - Abilities, Resources and Time to do the deed. If you had read it all the way through you would have caught on to the last part of cutting wires AND decided at that point NOT to do it and find that there was a better way.

Generally, you can remove the connector pins or receptacles from the hood or shell to pass through the tight tube(s) or passages WITHOUT cutting. I ALWAYS make sure I do not have to "CUT" the OEM wiring, main reason is what is they are tested and true...the mods you do are additions which may or may not integrate properly...you may have to use heavier wiring and may have to up the source fuse by an AMP or two to compensate for the extra load you add, and also makes it tougher if you have to "reverse" engineer something when troubleshooting or if you are selling the bike minus the accessory. All things to think about when doing electrical mods.

Last edited:
Well, I did read it and all the way through and I tried every way I could to get the wire out of the receptace. I figuerd HD just wanted to sell us new wires. Thanks for your thoughts. I do have a better understanding today of how the manual shows things.

No worries AZDave, most all connectors have release pins or retaining barbs, generally you use a thin scribe or plastic sleeve/tool that retracts them allowing the the contact pin/receptacle to back out of the shell. And because you are working on a new bike, I was trying to save you the aggravation of "cutting" into your bike... :newsmile04:

Sorry if I sounded "heavy handed" as I always lean towards the dealer if it is an in-warranty bike. :33:

Last edited:
Sir, Point well taken. I followed the HD manual once to change fork oil in a 1997 Roadking. There were two ways of doing this. The method I chose was a "pain". When I went to pour in the new fork oil, the oil would (lock up) at the opening of the hole and would not drain on down into the fork until I poked it with a small screw driver. Took what seemed like years to complete this service procedure. I vowed...never again will I bother with this method. Naw I'll hire that done from here on out.

Sir, Point well taken. I followed the HD manual once to change fork oil in a 1997 Roadking. There were two ways of doing this. The method I chose was a "pain". When I went to pour in the new fork oil, the oil would (lock up) at the opening of the hole and would not drain on down into the fork until I poked it with a small screw driver. Took what seemed like years to complete this service procedure. I vowed...never again will I bother with this method. Naw I'll hire that done from here on out.

Maybe when you want to do a service you should check your manual,then look in the self help forum to see if anyone has a better or faster way of doing the service.:D

Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers - Harley Davidson Community

Steve posted a link on it that is the much easier way to do it why pay?

Heres how i did it

Front Fork Oil Change - Harley Davidson Community

Just think, if we did not own and ride Harleys we might not have anything to do. Oh what, Im married I have to finish a project.

Very True, expecially if you have aftermarket parts or anything non harley made, such as kustom krome, K & N...ect. For instance, last week i put a bobtail fender on my dads 1994 FXR which was made for that bike but we still had to drill 2 holes to make everything fit right and we had other problems but thats what its all about bro. wrenchin on bikes with your buds. Keep wrenchin and workin on it. youll get it

Last edited:
Back