free website stats program Dog Days | Harley Davidson Forums

Dog Days

240gordie

Hi All,
I live in central Oregon and the weather is getting into the 90s now. I work at a RV And Marine dealer here, I'm a service writer and mechanic for the RVs and boats. I'm a perfectionist and want to do my own trans repair. I joined to get some help along with the repair manual for my transmission primary bearing that has gone out at only 25k. What specialty tools do I really need to buy or rent for the job. I'm kinda old school installing bearings with heat and cold to get it done. Is old school possible?
Please point me in the right direction for the advise needed. I look forward to finding some new friends along the way.
Rock On

Welcome, we were in Oregon a couple weeks ago.
1 of the best places to ride.

Special tools I can think of is a 1 1/2" or 1 3/16" DEEP socket for the clutch hub nut. They are quite expensive, so many that have access to a welder make their own with a piece of pipe to make length. Also will need a locking bar to put between comp. & clutch sprockets to when removing the VERY tight LEFT hand thread clutch nut. Some use a block of wood or a wadded up rag jammed between chain and sprocket. To break the pulley nut loose, put in top gear, and have someone step on rear brake.

Special tools I can think of is a 1 1/2" or 1 3/16" DEEP socket for the clutch hub nut. They are quite expensive, so many that have access to a welder make their own with a piece of pipe to make length. Also will need a locking bar to put between comp. & clutch sprockets to when removing the VERY tight LEFT hand thread clutch nut. Some use a block of wood or a wadded up rag jammed between chain and sprocket. To break the pulley nut loose, put in top gear, and have someone step on rear brake.

Welcome aboard!
What Breeze said! If your looking at tools you may look here for inexpensive alternatives to some others..
http://www.heartlandproducts.net/harley-davidson-tools-bearings/

Wow that was quick, thanks for the responses. I have been poring over the Harley manual and checking tool prices to do the job. You gave me some great ideas for the tools, I can sure make what I need. I also watched a pictorial last night with some pvc pipe for pushing the large bearings. This has given me all I needed to move forward.
Thanks, 240Gordie

Welcome, we were in Oregon a couple weeks ago.
1 of the best places to ride.
Were you at the Hells Canyon Ride? The day we were leaving for that rally I heard my primary noise. Canceled the trip right there. Was way bumbed.

Breeze3 thanks for the heads up, I will start making. Are those the two size sockets for the 96 2010? Do you know how long they will need to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back