free website stats program does the Roadking handle and drive well?? opinion please?? | Harley Davidson Forums

does the Roadking handle and drive well?? opinion please??

ron1978

before i get to involved with this 2005 Roadking, i wanted feedback from riders that own, or have owned. i weight 245 and wife weighs about 170
415lbs. total, will the roadking handle the weight good??
and how about cornering and highway speeds and such, tell what you know about them please, thanks, i'm going tomorow to make the final look at it before purchase.

My wife and I are about the same size as you and your wife. We ride 2 up frequently. The bike performs great for us under all conditions. My only concern with my RK is the 5 speed. At freeway speeds in the 70's, I would like to be able to shift again to bring the RPM's down. Mine is a 99, I don't know what the 05 has. I don't mean to scare you off, 5 speed, or 6 speed, I am sure you will love the bike.

The RK will handle you and you wife very comfortably! No problems with that, and much more! IMO they are one of HD diffinitive nostalgic touring models. They sit well, handle great, and have nice center to weight distribution. They chug right on down the road and are easy to work on also. A real bikers bike. I love 'em!

wow, thanks for the replies! me and wife are reading them as they come in.
some one on here said the 05 ad oil seals or valve seal trouble?? something you live with or get fixed?

I have a Fatboy but rented a Roadking while in Vegas last fall. If I had the money I would have bought that bike after the first hour of riding it. but it was an 09 and had the six speed tranny and really cruised very nicely when in 6th.. The 07.s and later have 6 speeds; if you can afford to go to a 07 I would highly recommend it. That being said , if you're set on the 05 get it , you can always upgrade to the 6 at a later date.

I'm 6'5" and around 220 (I've discarded about 15 pounds) - the 02 I have is a pleasure to ride. Slow is great and highway speeds are no problem. I wish the bike were a little larger, but that's an opinion that will probably be in the minority. While nothing cuts the wind like a batwing, I think you'll find that highway speeds on the Road King are easy miles. For me, I like it best when stripped - no windshield, no backrest, nothing but goggles and a warm breeze (and it looks cool). I agree that a six speed wouldn't hurt.

I'm 6'5" and around 220 (I've discarded about 15 pounds) - the 02 I have is a pleasure to ride. Slow is great and highway speeds are no problem. I wish the bike were a little larger, but that's an opinion that will probably be in the minority. While nothing cuts the wind like a batwing, I think you'll find that highway speeds on the Road King are easy miles. For me, I like it best when stripped - no windshield, no backrest, nothing but goggles and a warm breeze (and it looks cool). I agree that a six speed wouldn't hurt.
I've got a new Woody's detachable batwing fairing on my Road King, so even that will not hold you back. Looks great on her too.

Enjoy,
Rich P

The RK will handle you and you wife very comfortably! No problems with that, and much more! IMO they are one of HD diffinitive nostalgic touring models. They sit well, handle great, and have nice center to weight distribution. They chug right on down the road and are easy to work on also. A real bikers bike. I love 'em!

A +++ TEXAS BIKER SAID IT ALL ! I put a tour pac on my rd king and the wife and I spent 9 days seeing the arkansas mountains last sept never a problem. As for the oil issue my uncle has an 05 and it magicly looses about half a quart of oil a season. no smoke or leaks, runs just fine! you and your wife will love it compared to the sporty.

Last edited:
I have an 07 RK standard and love it. I have had no problems with mine except for getting run over once but thats a whole story itself. I wouldnt change a thing on mine.

Back