free website stats program Does a 2009 Ultra need Stage 1? | Harley Davidson Forums

Does a 2009 Ultra need Stage 1?

Merlynn

Been hearing that the 2009 touring bikes have done such a good job of dissipating heat that they real nice without getting a stage one kit. If you're only concerned about heat reduction and not performance as I am do you think the bike will run well and last if left stock?

Been hearing that the 2009 touring bikes have done such a good job of dissipating heat that they real nice without getting a stage one kit. If you're only concerned about heat reduction and not performance as I am do you think the bike will run well and last if left stock?
I invite you to come and ride mine I WAS HAPPY WITH THEW BIKE RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX However having 2 previous bikes with the Stage 1 & 11 on the 03 RKC and the Stage 1 on the 07 EGC I decided that I would limit the upgrades in performance with PIPEs Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner/Fiter Kit and the Techlusions TFI 1452ST Model for Touring Bikes and I AM IN 7TH HEAVEN No Heating issues at stop light like my 07

MY.02 Worth

RIDE SAFE
BuffaloBILL

All the stock Harleys rolling off the line are running lean (some VERY lean) to meet the regulatory requirements they face. Opening up the air system and letting the engine breath should prevent some of the problems you will see other riders discussing on this site. Breather, slip-ons, and a fuel manager of some sort will likely provide you with sufficient improvement on the breathing side of your engine that you will not experience some of the downside complaints. Remember, however, if you change out the breather and exhaust, you need to at least get the system remapped since it will be even leaner with those mods and the stock map. As Bill said above, the TFI is a very user friendly and USER adjustable fuel manager. Worth looking into in the Tips section.

Couple these changes with upgrading the lubricants to full synthetics in the engine (20W50) and tranny (75W90 or 140 gear oil here, NOT engine oil), and Formula Plus or Spectro Primary in the primary, and your bike should give you miles of smiles!!

TQ

Thanks for the input. Yeah I'm going to do the Stage One. I've decided on SE Air Cleaner, SERT, and Rinehart slipons. Pick up the bike tomorrow and can't wait!

I promise there is a heat issue with 09 stock bikes. I own a 09 Ultra and it ran hot. I put on a SE air cleaner, Jack Pot slip on pipes and added a TFI fuel management..not to mention Mobil One V Twin full sysn oil, and it runs cooler, but still hot enough to notice. While it was stock, it was just about unbearable in town. The mods I made did a good job and I love this bike for a lot of reasons. But stock is not going to make you happy.

I promise there is a heat issue with 09 stock bikes. I own a 09 Ultra and it ran hot. I put on a SE air cleaner, Jack Pot slip on pipes and added a TFI fuel management..not to mention Mobil One V Twin full sysn oil, and it runs cooler, but still hot enough to notice. While it was stock, it was just about unbearable in town. The mods I made did a good job and I love this bike for a lot of reasons. But stock is not going to make you happy.

I have to agree with 09Ultra. I have added Rinehart slip-ons but the heat that is on the right side of the bike is unbearable, the heat is hot hot hot. I had a 98 Ultra and had Rinehart True Duels and the heat problem went away completely. So to get rid of the heat issue, I will buy the full system for my Ultra. Yeah I know that I will lose a little HP and Torque but I didn't buy it to race. Other than the heat issue it's a great bike.

nt6977 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No bike needs a Stage 1. The Stage 1 is an option one of many.
All Vtwins produce heat they are a big air cooled engine.
A stage 1 is a want not a need there are many bike with the same engine your 09 has that have racked up a lot of trouable free mile left stock.

Not arguing the point of rather they will run fine with no stage one, or that you NEED a stage one. But there is NO DOUBT they run way too hot stock and the stage one will help with this issue. As far as I am concerned, they run WAY to hot as stock, rather they need it or not is another issue. There is no way I would leave a 09 stock and put up with the rediculous heat they produce. It can ruin your ride in summer temps. This is not an opinion. I own one, I expererienced it and know for a fact a stage one will reduce the heat to a bearable situation. I did all I could to remedy this heat issue short of true duals. That will be the next step, although I do not think I will need to.

Ok I've been riding my 09 Ultra for two days with Stage One. Yes in stop and go traffic, ambient temp 80 degrees the right pipe is hot. Passenger has no discomfort at all. I had to move my right foot to the outside of the footboard and then it was bearable. I figure at 1000 miles I'll switch to synthetic and that will help also. At highway speeds or even above 50, no problem. Like a shark ultras need to swim or die.

Did I need Stage one. I think so. Besides with the SERT this bike rocks! Power and torque in spades, no "carb farts" when decelerating. This bike weighs more than my old road king and is way quicker.

No way would I go back!

Note too busy riding to update picture. Will do soon!

Last edited:
Good to hear! My '09 Ultra's getting the Stage 1/Reinhart/remap done now, along with some Ergo Back Bars. Can't wait!!

I bought an 07 roadglide 2 years ago and toyed with the idea of doing a stage one.Everyone said you gotta change the pipes and do a stage one.I've since put some ovals on (which sound great) but not the stage one.When it was new it (the engine)was frigin hot, no question (I was kinda bummin about that)But since the breakin I run synthetic and that's definitely helped.Every once in a while I still think about doin one but it runs so good I think I'm just going to leave it(not to mention great on gas)

Back