free website stats program Dobeck on a stock motor? | Harley Davidson Forums

Dobeck on a stock motor?

DakotaRob

I've read some other posts about the Dobeck tuner, and I'm trying to decide about adding one.

All stock 103ci, no exhaust mods. Some of you will recall I was having pinging issues and the dealer sent my ECM back to HD to get reset. It has helped, but I still get a ping now and then.

1) Will adding something like a Dobeck help, or do I need to change a bunch of other stuff too?

2) Will I be able to handle installing it myself? I am capable of doing oil changes and basic stuff, although lately due to time constraints I just let the dealer do that stuff too.

I hate the thought of causing more problems... I'm not much into tinkering with the bike, I just want to ride it and not mess with it other than basic service.

Why not? We all know the bikes run lean and hot due to EPA standards. With a tuner you can fatten her up a little which will cool her down some and a nice little performance boost to boot. A stage 1 filter and some new mufflers would turn it into a new bike. :D:D

I've read some other posts about the Dobeck tuner, and I'm trying to decide about adding one.

All stock 103ci, no exhaust mods. Some of you will recall I was having pinging issues and the dealer sent my ECM back to HD to get reset. It has helped, but I still get a ping now and then.

1) Will adding something like a Dobeck help, or do I need to change a bunch of other stuff too?

2) Will I be able to handle installing it myself? I am capable of doing oil changes and basic stuff, although lately due to time constraints I just let the dealer do that stuff too.

I hate the thought of causing more problems... I'm not much into tinkering with the bike, I just want to ride it and not mess with it other than basic service.

You WILL benefit putting on a TFI or a Gen3

so will your stock bike...:D:D:D

a TFI or a Gen3 is what you need.

The TFI is a manual adjust with a LITTLE screwdriver.

The gen3 with push-button and lights..
(good IF you are not color-blind, not joking here...)

I would call chris and Order one, Talk with him and he WILL suggest one or the other After He Talks to you...:s

HE will have it PRE-adjusted for your stock 103" 2011 bike... Most of the time, it will not need further adjusting..:s

The only part that I do different from some is I Remove the gas tank,(one gas tank gas level gauge wire,,, un plugging it.) not un hooking the main key wires On my 09 King,,,Just turning the tank 180* and placing it on the rear fender/seat off area on a blanket.. Never a problem and out of the way.

I have found this easy enough and plenty of room to un-plug and tie the HD injector wires up and out of the way , above the injectors and hooking the TFI or Gen3 wires..

IF this is something you would Not Want to do,,,, I'd get a mechanical friend or a small shop (Not HD) to help or do the install... One hour usually does the install.

The hardest part for me with the process,,, is making sure the gas tank is LOW on fuel... Now that calls out for a long ride.:D

The instructions are easy and IF you have questions Chris will answer and IF you need more help,,,He has been known to stay right on the phone as you install it... You can do it.

I think you will have NO problems with instalation...

HDTimeline Discount of 50$ and free shipping... BUT you have to do it over the phone..

Call Chris @
Dobeck Performance
877-764-3337
406-388-2377

signed....BUBBIE

My bike is just a 96" but it made a fantastic improvement using the TFI. Bike pinged when applying throttle after cruising down the road for a while and applying throttle. It also had a mild surge when riding at a steady speed. After installing the TFI all of that went away and the bike runs perfect. My bike is stock except for the addition of Screamin Eagle intake. Still have stock exhaust. And if your a Vet you get a nice discount from Dobeck.

Rob,
I have a 2011 Super Glide Custom. It was stock except for a stock K&N air cleaner replacement and some holes that I drilled on the A/C backplate to help my bike breathe in the hot central Texas sun. I noticed an immediate improvement over the stock setup. Cooler, better acceleration and etc. the only change so far is to change the Blue/Green setting (decel) to zero. This eliminated a minor decel pop from having fuel being injected into the cylinder while the throttle is completely rolled closed. Chris @ Doebecks is very easy to work with and will spend the necessary time to hep you get your bike right.
How that I have full stage one installed (look for my posts in the Dyna Section) the tuner has really come into its own. I went on my longest ride to date (more than 350 miles!) and it cruises great - not as hot as before. I might richen it up a tad as the AC I have moves a bit more air than the standard Scream'n Eagle air cleaner.
So my answer is yes. Its worth it.
Pros:
runs cooler
quicker throttle response
smoother cruise

Cons:
Gas mileage drops by approximately 5%.

Finding a convenient place to install the module was a challenge for me because of lack of experience wrenching on Harley's (this is my first H-D period and first MC in 25 years). I finally settled on a slot that is adjacent to the ECM hood in the electric caddy. I can pull out the module and view the lights and program it easily, and stuff it back in to that slot and close the caddy in seconds. Not sure how that would work in a touring bike, but I imagine it would be pretty similar.
The instructions are very clear, they just don't help you on where the best place to stuff the module. Some people put it under the seat . . . I don't like it there because its too time consuming on my bike to open the seat and get to th e module. On my set up, I just pull the electric caddy cover, pull it out, adjust it put it back in and replace the caddy cover.

Good Luck - let us know how the install goes if you decide to go that route.

Mark - Thanks!:newsmile026:

Just for information here:

I placed my TFI module, now using a Gen4, in the ABS box on my 09 FLHR and wrapped it Loosely in a shop cloth.. Easy to get to By pulling off the right side cover... I have No ABS but the metal box that holds the ABS is there.:D

Velcro is another way. I think unit comes with 2 tape backed velcro pieces that will allow easy placement and apart when needed to hold it in the hand.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for all the info guys! Exactly what I needed to know but have been afraid to ask, lol.

I've got ABS on my bike, I suppose that means the box under the right side panel is full. I'll have peek in there to see how much room. I scanned the install directions on the Dobeck site, it does not look too complicated. But, I will definitely give them a call before I order, just to be sure I get what is needed.

Thanks for all the info guys! Exactly what I needed to know but have been afraid to ask, lol.

I've got ABS on my bike, I suppose that means the box under the right side panel is full. I'll have peek in there to see how much room. I scanned the install directions on the Dobeck site, it does not look too complicated. But, I will definitely give them a call before I order, just to be sure I get what is needed.

Got mine velcroed to the ABS tank plenty of room

Remember, To get the HDT discount or others available and may apply,,,, you MUST call when ordering.. asking for Chris , as he does the discount for our HDT site members. and to have TFI or Gen3 set-up for Your bike...

The velcro can be applied most any claen surface on the bike and or under that cover,,, it should have room.:s

signed....BUBBIE

I got my Dobeck 6 months ago, and it has really cooled my stage 1 FatBob. My gas mileage went up 10%. Talking to their tech support was easy and very helpful.

I thought I would install it myself when I bought it-- after watching a few videos on Youtube and reading many discussions here. I change my own fluids and brake pads. When it arrived I opened the box near my Harley with my toolbox. Well-- I live in an apartment and don't have a garage, nor any power tools or shop tools, and it seemed like an all day job for me. So I paid a local shop install it.

:eam

Back