free website stats program Do I need to align Oil Pump? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I need to align Oil Pump?

codycody

I have a 2002 Road King Classic FLHRCI, Stage 1 w/ screamin eagle pipes, 28k miles. I installed the hydraulic cam kit and oil pump on my bike and it runs fine although pukes a little oil above 60 mph. Read that I may need oil pump alignment which I did not know about. Does this apply to bikes with the hydraulic cam kit and is it done with the same pins as a regular cam plate? Appreciate anyone who knows for sure?

You should have slowly tightened the oil pump up while you turned the motor by hand to align it.. If you didn't do this there is a big chance it is not aligned and you could have possibly damaged the oil pump.

Joe is correct, if the pump is out of alignment it can possibly cause your puking problem. I use a set of dowels and also rotate the engine by putting the trans in 5th gear and rotating the tire.
Ken

Yes they use the dowels for aligning the lifter blocks on some Harley engines and also for aligning the oil pump on the TC engine.
Ken

I went back and reviewed the procedure and I did seat the bolts and back out 1/4 turn and rotate engine according to my son who actually reads instructions. I DID NOT purchase the two dowel bolts as in Georges Garage. The bike has always puked about 1/4 quart of oil because I always have added 4 quarts at oil changes which may be a tad too much I have read.It quits pukin when it reaches that 1/4 quart level. So do I need to revisit alignment with the dowel bolts or head down the road and stop acting afraid??????

Welcome to the HDTimeline forum Cody...I think you are answering your own question...if you did not check the alignment, understanding the procedure; now that you know what to do, why not do it just to be sure, you have done the routine before and well versed enough to do it right, why not? Best to check and be sure, for less possibility of damage AND your piece of mind. :s

I went back and reviewed the procedure and I did seat the bolts and back out 1/4 turn and rotate engine according to my son who actually reads instructions. I DID NOT purchase the two dowel bolts as in Georges Garage. The bike has always puked about 1/4 quart of oil because I always have added 4 quarts at oil changes which may be a tad too much I have read.It quits pukin when it reaches that 1/4 quart level. So do I need to revisit alignment with the dowel bolts or head down the road and stop acting afraid??????

Nothing to do with Alignment... It is Just plain Over Full...

I would NOT go back into the oil pump for any alignment..... Leave it where it is... Pressure is working fine? Sump side seems to be working fine also. Proof is After the oil is Below the Over Full Level all is fine.... It Quits Pukin'

I have a Method I use....
Take 4 quarts of oil... Uncap the 4th quart and fill the oil filter up to the threaded area NOT over. and Just ONCE.. allow oil to soak into the filter...PUT the Cap Back ON the 4th quart....
Now
Dump the Three(3) quarts into the oil tank...
Install oil filter while bike is on the kick-stand and NO oil will come out.

Then take bike for a ride and get it hot.. Home, Check level Hot and ONLY IF Too LOW add oil to No More than a 1/4 inch BELOW the full line...
If It needs a little, Using JUST a Little out of the 4th Qt you capped... DON'T Over Fill....

No measuring to do with this oil change,,, Right. and No thought of "How Much Oil Did I Put In"???

3.5 quart is WAY MORE than enough ... so MY method above, I use, Keeps it BELOW the Hot full line when HOT ...

Capping the 4th Quart after One oil fill in the filter.. A must do..:D

signed....BUBBIE

Nothing to do with Alignment... It is Just plain Over Full...

I would NOT go back into the oil pump for any alignment..... Leave it where it is... Pressure is working fine? Sump side seems to be working fine also. Proof is After the oil is Below the Over Full Level all is fine.... It Quits Pukin'

I have a Method I use....
Take 4 quarts of oil... Uncap the 4th quart and fill the oil filter up to the threaded area NOT over. and Just ONCE.. allow oil to soak into the filter...PUT the Cap Back ON the 4th quart....
Now
Dump the Three(3) quarts into the oil tank...
Install oil filter while bike is on the kick-stand and NO oil will come out.

Then take bike for a ride and get it hot.. Home, Check level Hot and ONLY IF Too LOW add oil to No More than a 1/4 inch BELOW the full line...
If It needs a little, Using JUST a Little out of the 4th Qt you capped... DON'T Over Fill....

No measuring to do with this oil change,,, Right. and No thought of "How Much Oil Did I Put In"???

3.5 quart is WAY MORE than enough ... so MY method above, I use, Keeps it BELOW the Hot full line when HOT ...

Capping the 4th Quart after One oil fill in the filter.. A must do..:D

signed....BUBBIE

I would agree with BUBBIE. If you did the procedure as called out by loosening the bolts 1/4 turn and then rotated the engine via the rear wheel, your pump should be fine and as he said, just an over filling problem. :)

Back