free website stats program Do i need a tuner or maybe stage 1 program | Harley Davidson Forums

Do i need a tuner or maybe stage 1 program

I bought my 06 softail used in 08.It came with stage 1 filter and duel v/h pipes on it.I get a lot of popping let off.I've got it at the dealer now for problem code i beleave it was p6052 low voltage to the efi.I told the service writer that i do not think it is getting very good mpg's and to check to see if any thing was wrong while they had it there..He said that it might not have the upgrade program for the stage one filter and pipes and is running to lean,and if the were to install the program it would be $285.He said he would have it checked.then he talked to me about having the HD tuner installed and dyno done $450 for parts and $285 for the dyno..Is the tuner worth it to get what i need out of the motor? or may be have the stage one program installed?Thanks for any help on this..

the download just sets the fuel back to stock for air cleaner.. the tuner they can tune the whole range

But if you just want to add some fuel, you can do so with a fueler like the TFI rather than a race tuner. Up to you and what all you plan to do with the bike in the future. With what you have now, a fueler will do the trick.

TQ

I'm not looking to race the bike i just want better performance and reliability.I try a power commander in my yamaha and had it dyno tuned was ok but not sadified ,so i bought the cobra fuel mod for it and it was plug and play it worked great..My ? now is the tuner worth the $$ to have installed and dyno'd and what should i expect to get from it?

I'm not looking to race the bike i just want better performance and reliability.I try a power commander in my yamaha and had it dyno tuned was ok but not sadified ,so i bought the cobra fuel mod for it and it was plug and play it worked great..My ? now is the tuner worth the $$ to have installed and dyno'd and what should i expect to get from it?

IMHO, you will get what you want with another "inexpensive" plug-and-play fueler. The TFI is widely used by folks here on the forum. You can find info on it here:

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

He said that it might not have the upgrade program for the stage one filter and pipes and is running to lean,and if the were to install the program it would be $285.He said he would have it checked.then he talked to me about having the HD tuner installed and dyno done $450 for parts and $285 for the dyno..Is the tuner worth it to get what i need out of the motor? or may be have the stage one program installed?Thanks for any help on this..

The dealer download isn't $285, it's more like $150.

I just heard back from H D they said stator and regulator are bad reason for problem code. Now im glade for the extended warenty looks this is going to pay for itself. I do have the stage one program in the emc.could the bad voltage be a cause for bad milage? Looks like i'll be going to get an after market fuel mang. i think the $$ they for an H D tuner and dyno is a little rich for my pockets at this time..

You may want to look into a Thunder Max Auto tuner. I have heard that some have had great results and you don't need a dyno. They are a bit pricey however.

Back