free website stats program Do I HAVE to get manual compression releases with the 103 cu in kit? | Harley Davidson Forums

Do I HAVE to get manual compression releases with the 103 cu in kit?

bdambrose

Hi everyone,

I have an 08 FLSTC that I'm putting the 103 cubic inch upgrade
kit on it.

The dealer highly recommended doing the manual compression
releases at the same time for easier starts.

My question is, do I have to do this, or can I just get a better
starter?

I do go on ride, but don't do too much hot starting, except to
get gas.

HD sells a higher torque starter for $525 that has 15% more torque,
would that work? Or is it really really a smart idea to do the manual compression releases?

Thanks,
Brian

you'll want them but i wouldnt go for manual get the SE Auto ones because when that motor is hot and your trying to push in on a super hot compression release ..

I considered the auto compression releases, but the cost was a LOT more. They're charing me $120 parts and labor for putting in the manuals, and the parts and labor alone for the automatic ones were like almost $500.

Last edited:
I considered the auto compression releases, but the cost was a LOT more. They're charing me $120 parts and labor for putting in the manuals, and the parts and labor alone for the automatic ones were like almost $500.

The auto release would still be cheaper... according to your numbers. And it's less stressful to the engine than a larger starter.

the manual compression releases are the cheaper way to go. But the bottom line is, get the releases because it's better on the engine and starter?

the 103 at our dealer has no compression releases or bigger starter and it fires up 1st press if the starter and it goes like stink

I know you "can" do it without the releases, but NO HD mechanic recommended it. It's hard on the head gaskets, battery, starter, etc.

So are you saying that you should NOT get the releases?

i wont be when i install my 103" with heads so much so that the dealer did not even offer them in the quote
Then why are they telling me that it's a good idea to reduce strain on the starter and engine? Are they filling me with bull?

Are you upgrading your starter?

Put the compression reliefs in while the work is being done. The 103 shouldn't need them if it has the stock cam and compression ratio but if you ever upgrade the cams, you'll need them then. It will be easier on the starter too if you use them. The starters in these bikes are marginal to begin with, forget the high torque starter unless you just want to burn money up or if you have thoughts of going big on the cams or CR in the future.

Put the compression reliefs in while the work is being done. The 103 shouldn't need them if it has the stock cam and compression ratio but if you ever upgrade the cams, you'll need them then. It will be easier on the starter too if you use them. The starters in these bikes are marginal to begin with, forget the high torque starter unless you just want to burn money up or if you have thoughts of going big on the cams or CR in the future.
I am putting in the Stage II 103" kit, with the SE255 cams. Do you consider those cams "upgraded"?

With knowing that, does that make sense as to why my mechanic highly suggested to releases?

Back