free website stats program Discs or oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Discs or oil?

I recently replaced the clutch ram bearing on my 01 XL1200C. First off, I am positive I have everything readjusted properly. Done it a million times.

I am noticing slipping on the high end now, where I never had it before. This is the first time I have replaced the primary/trans oil in this bike. I refilled it with Harley Formula+ primary and transmission lube, which is what Harley recommends for a Sporty since primary and trans share oil...

Now, I dont have a stock clutch. I have a Rivera Primo pro clutch, which adds extra plates for more surface area.

My question is, should I be using a thinner oil for a Rivera vs. a stock clutch? Does any have a similar setup that works well, they could recommend?

I know Rivera friction discs are guaranteed for life, and they weren't slipping before I changed the oil, which is why I assumed Im using too heavy a lube.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I recently replaced the clutch ram bearing on my 01 XL1200C. First off, I am positive I have everything readjusted properly. Done it a million times.

I am noticing slipping on the high end now, where I never had it before. This is the first time I have replaced the primary/trans oil in this bike. I refilled it with Harley Formula+ primary and transmission lube, which is what Harley recommends for a Sporty since primary and trans share oil...

Now, I don't have a stock clutch. I have a Rivera Primo pro clutch, which adds extra plates for more surface area.

My question is, should I be using a thinner oil for a Rivera vs. a stock clutch? Does any have a similar setup that works well, they could recommend?

I know Rivera friction discs are guaranteed for life, and they weren't slipping before I changed the oil, which is why I assumed Im using too heavy a lube.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
What was in the primary Before you changed and didn't have a problem???

It probably is the formula+,, Being a sporty, What does Rivera recommend that would be for the clutch and the gears on that bike???? Call them, and ask...

signed....BUBBIE

What was in the primary Before you changed and didn't have a problem???

It probably is the formula+,, Being a sporty, What does Rivera recommend that would be for the clutch and the gears on that bike???? Call them, and ask...

signed....BUBBIE
I wish I knew what was in there before Bubbie, this is the first time I have drained the fluid.

I have asked Rivera what they recommend through e-mail but I don't expect a response until Monday. Thought someone here might know. If i don't hear back by Monday I definitely will call.

Thanks Bubbie

Was to oil drained Thick/Thin ? Color?

I have only Listen in on these types of conversations on the net. but I do know that there is a special recommended oil to make that clutch work properly BUT in a sporty you have to think about the Gears also.. Wished I had a better answer for you..

My thinking is MTL from redline BUT not sure on the gears using it(looks good though)...My bottle I use in the primary on my 96" hog, says SAE 70W80 api GL-4 Gear Oil..

It does say satisfies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 70W, 75W, and 80..and motor oil viscosities SAE 30, 10W30 and 5W30..

Seemed I have heard of it being used on a Rivera clutch and I would think the MTL has the gears in the sporty covered also..

I would see IF someone else chimes in with the PROPER suggested information..

signed....BUBBIE

On a wet clutch system the oil helps with the grip of the clutch by creating a suction point around the friction pads
if the oil is too thin then the clutch will slip and if it is too thick then you will get clutch drag
But perhaps the reply from the manufacturer will be somewhere around where bubbie is

Brian

Back