free website stats program Disconnect choke from carb | Harley Davidson Forums

Disconnect choke from carb

garyhdxlc

I stripped the threads on that cheap plastic nut, so now I need a new one. I did a Search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have the carb off my 06 1200 bike, so 'exactly' how do I disconnect the Choke assemblies from the Carb ? I want to be sure I don't brake the cable or something inside the carb... Thanks

Just put a wrench on the nut and back it out. Once it's out you will se a spring and a brass piece. Compress the spring with your fingers and remove the brass piece from the ball on the end of the cable. Now the cable can be removed from nut. Do the reverse for the install. As you found out you need to be very,very careful/patient when you are installing the choke assembly. Hope this helps.

The cable itself is one of the cheapest things that HD sells. I think they run about 15 bucks or there about.
Its not really hard to remove and replace, but just be careful when you replace the cable and make sure the metal collar that fits inside the elbow is seated good. If it isn't the cable will be short and the enricher will not be completely shut off.
That comes from experience... : )
Here is a little helper note that I found and may be helpfull to you.
Good luck with the repair...

"To really adjust this correctly, you have to loosed the metal hex nut at the back of the bracket first.

Here is the procedure:

1. Loosen hex nut at backside of enricher bracket

2. Move cable assembly free of slot in mounting bracket.

3. Hold cable assembly at flat (on the cable) with an adjustable wrench. Turn plastic nut by hand counterclockwise (reducing sliding resistance) until knob slides inward unaided.

4. Turn plastic nut clockwise (increasing sliding resistance) until knob remains fully open without holding, and closes with relative ease.

5. Position cable assembly in slot in bracket with hex nut and star washer behind bracket. Tighten hex nut to 20-35 in-lbs.

This adjustment has to be made on a fairly regular basis. Especially if you ride all year with varying temps. Since it's a friction adjustment, it is affected by changes in temp. I pretty much have to adjust mine for each change of the season. As a matter of fact, doing the Spring weather adjustment for this is on my agenda today."

Thanks for the info. I got the new one[$12] installed last march. As far as I'm concerned they are worth about $5...

Back