free website stats program Directional rotation arrows | Harley Davidson Forums

Directional rotation arrows

Plainsman

Do the Frt and rear alloy wheels on an 06 Ultra have rotational arrows somewhere? I can not find them on the frt wheel. I did a search but can't see the results because I don't have 150 posts. I had a tire mounted and now the wheel has been turned around (valve stem on other side of bike). The tire is rolling the right direction.

Do the Frt and rear alloy wheels on an 06 Ultra have rotational arrows somewhere? I can not find them on the frt wheel. I did a search but can't see the results because I don't have 150 posts. I had a tire mounted and now the wheel has been turned around (valve stem on other side of bike). The tire is rolling the right direction.

I'm not sure if the wheels do, but my brake disc does have a small directional arrow.

Hmmm. Not sure what you are doing here. On my bike, the bearings are built up from one side, and rotating the wheel 180* after installing the bearings would change those specs. Did you pull the bearings and have new ones installed following the install procedures but with the rim 180* turned?

The tires will have direction of rotation indicators, but not sure about the wheels. I have not noticed them.

TQ

No arrow showing rotation, the valve stem is supposed to be the "helpful" tool.
The holes in the spokes where they attach to rim should be facing rear. I'd take it back and have it remounted. The above reply about centering the wheel is valid. One spacer is 1/32" (aprox.) longer, which side would you put it on with the wheel reversed? I'd sure hate to find out at 80 mph that the bearings were side loaded.:newsmile08:

One spacer is 1/32" (aprox.) longer, which side would you put it on with the wheel reversed? I'd sure hate to find out at 80 mph that the bearings were side loaded.:newsmile08:

Oh-oh. I'd better double check mine since the dealer had installed the last tire/wheel backwards (arrow on disc and tire arrow rotating backwards). When I installed my new tire I'd turned the wheel around so tire and disc rotating forwards but installed the spacers in the same place. Big diff for mine is I don't have ABS so I thought I'd read in my manual the spacers were both the same size.

The info. I posted was for the old (pre '09) touring frame. I do not know if there is a difference in the spacers on newer models. The serv. manual will specify if there is.

I did my own front tire for the first time this summer, and, while I got the tire rotation right and the yellow dot by the stem ok, it wasn't until it was back on the bike that I realized the rim was reversed (brake rotor slots the other way). I did some reading and found out HD actually reversed the direction of the rotors in a noise mitigation effort (and the stamps and P/N were even left goes on right and vice versa). After seeing many bikes with it both ways and having no issues I decided to leave it that way (even though I knew that the bearings were going the other direction). I rode a 4000 mile trip with no problem. Now back I am replacing the brake pads, (thinking about just reversing the rotors), and discovered there are holes in the spokes on one side where it meets the rim, and they are in front as they come over the top and face the wind (and rain). I never noticed anything wrong, but have decided to remove and remount the tire so these holes are the same as they are on the rear rim. The air valve stem is more convenient on the right when mounted this way. Good practice changing rubber...

Oh-oh. I'd better double check mine since the dealer had installed the last tire/wheel backwards (arrow on disc and tire arrow rotating backwards). When I installed my new tire I'd turned the wheel around so tire and disc rotating forwards but installed the spacers in the same place. Big diff for mine is I don't have ABS so I thought I'd read in my manual the spacers were both the same size.

Biggest issue here is that the bearings are built up from one side. On that side, the bearing is seated all the way in the hub, and then the large inside spacer is inserted and the other bearing is installed until is bottoms out on the inside spacer, NOT the hub on that side. So if you are mounting the wheel rotating the plane of the wheel 180*, the bearings would have to be reinstalled following the build up procedure.

TQ

Back