free website stats program Did my 1000 mile oil change today and dumped the syn 3. | Harley Davidson Forums

Did my 1000 mile oil change today and dumped the syn 3.

Nothing really great about this post except i took the advice of most of the forum members on getting rid of syn 3 and changing to a better oil.
I decided to go with Mobil 1 v-twin 20w-50 / engine, Mobil 1 racing 4t 10w-40 / primary and Mobil 1 gear oil 75w-90 / trans. We'll see later on how i like this combo.:D

Wow, I just did my 10K today as well.

Bought the bike used from HD Rental fleet on Memorial Day weekend.

Today I dumped all my oils. I really don't know what HD had in it before.

All of mine are synthetic.

Transmission: Redline Vtwin 6 speed Shock
Primary: Redline Vtwin Primary Case oil
Engine: Amsoil 20/50

I will do the rest of the 10K mile requirements this weekend.

I have found that I get a little more valve train noise with the mobil1.I use Belray.The valve train is quiet and no fuzz at oil change
Bel-Ray V-Twin Synthetic Motor Oil | Bel-Ray Company, Inc

For the trnsmission I have tried many fluids and the best I have found is Spectro
Spectro Oils of America - Transmission Gear Oils

For my primary I use a cheap dino oil.

I have a friend who switched to Spectro 5 and he was amazed how it "quieted everything down". I have heard nothing but positive feedback about Spectro. I dumped the Syn3 after I bought the bike and went to Amsoil which I have heard good things about too. My question is: can I use Spectro 5 in my 5 speed tranny? My friend has a 6 speed. Thanks!

I have a friend who switched to Spectro 5 and he was amazed how it "quieted everything down". I have heard nothing but positive feedback about Spectro. I dumped the Syn3 after I bought the bike and went to Amsoil which I have heard good things about too. My question is: can I use Spectro 5 in my 5 speed tranny? My friend has a 6 speed. Thanks!

Yes you can use the 6spd trans fluid in a 5 peed bike. The only difference is the additive for the conical gears of the 6 speed. It will work no problem. Not sure but there maybe a cost difference. Probably insignificant though.

Bodeen

Yes you can use the 6spd trans fluid in a 5 peed bike. The only difference is the additive for the conical gears of the 6 speed. It will work no problem. Not sure but there maybe a cost difference. Probably insignificant though.

Bodeen
Thanks Bodeen. I had wondered about that.

For those who have two fill holes like my Sporty...100% Syn like Mobil I V-Twin for the Engine. Since the Tranny, oil wetted Clutch and Primary chain are all lubed by gear oil I choose a non-synthetic gear oil with no friction modifiers, to help preserve clutch life. This is an old deal, coming from the Metric side of the house where big horsepower high reving Engine, Trans, and wet Clutch are all lubed from the same oil sump do not recommend 100% Synthetic which has friction modifiers and will toast the oil wetted clutch in short order (they recommend MA rated dino oils. So do use Spectrol Primary Gear Oil, HD Primary +...your bike will be happy if you do! :s

Have you guys noticed that the H.D. dealerships, and some Indys, like to put Syn 3 in all three holes?

I could never understand this thinking because, when it comes to oil, one size does not fit all. The engine is an entirely different environment for the oil as compared to the transmission and the chain case.

Have you guys noticed that the H.D. dealerships, and some Indys, like to put Syn 3 in all three holes?

I could never understand this thinking because, when it comes to oil, one size does not fit all. The engine is an entirely different environment for the oil as compared to the transmission and the chain case.

They are the dealers you should stay away from.

Back