free website stats program Detailing question, scratches on my black HD | Harley Davidson Forums

Detailing question, scratches on my black HD

AustinLewis

Hi folks, let me ask you a quick detailing question. My HD is black, which makes those tiny scratches that appeared on the top coating with time so visible. Those are just small tiny scratches that appeared because I believe someone was rubbing the paint when there were sand particles on it. These scratches are not very deep, but one can easily see them especially when you look at the bike against the light. So I was looking for a safe way to remove them. Now, I know that I can polish the bike and get rid of them. Just wanted to find out if there is another way that will help me fill in the scratches, at least for some time? Or the only thing that fills scratches is wax?
Also, does anyone know what swirl removers do? Here's one by Cycle Care, but there is a dozen of products called swirl removers on Amazon. And I cannot get a clue what they do. Do they fill scratches or that's just the other name for polish?

There are LOTS of opinions on HD's clear coat. Some claim it's thick, some thin, some hard, some soft. The clear coat on my '07 Black Cherry is soft and thin. I have used Mothers/MeGuires and other name brand 3 step systems to straighten out my surface. Enough so, that I've gone through the clear in a spot or two. My recommendation is a name brand "polish" then wax. The "compound" can be too aggressive. Go slow and good luck.

Here you go:
81mjzqtItCL._SL1500_.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

It is slightly abrasive.You rub it in until it dries while rubbing.I have used it on windshields and painted surfaces.If You touch up paint ,then use it,works great.

3M makes a scratch and swirl remover that works like the GD product that Harttoo described. I use it for scratches, and it works great!

Back