free website stats program Defective Tires -- Possible Recall | Harley Davidson Forums

Defective Tires -- Possible Recall

marlboroman

i'm new to the forum, but i was forwarded this press release today and thought some of you guys might want to read it.. it kinda hits close to home for me, so I hope this cause doesn't get ignored.. this is especially important to FLHTCU owners.. anyway, here it is:

---

Harley Davidson, Honda and Goodyear Dunlop should investigate a number of motorcycle crashes involving sudden deflation of Goodyear Dunlop D402 and other tires, attorney Billy Edwards said today. The tires, installed as original equipment or sold as replacement tires on touring and cruiser motorcycles, may need to be recalled, he added.

Five more instances of sudden deflation of the Dunlop D402 tire have been reported to the safety website UnsafeMotorcycles (dotcom) with tire defects that lead to motorcycle crashes. Check for Model: Harley Davidson Ultra Classic and the Honda Goldwing with tire defects that lead to motorcycle crashes. Check for Model: Harley Davidson Ultra Classic and the Honda Goldwing, he noted. All four incidents involved Harley Davidson Ultra Classic touring motorcycles and occurred in the last 13 months, he said. The latest incident occurred in Marino Valley, CA, he said. Others have been reported in Massachusetts, Texas and Georgia, he said.

“We believe this is the tip of the iceberg. The defect in these tires appears to be worsening as the tires age, leading to more instances of sudden deflation and serious injury,” Edwards said.

These reports join at least two lawsuits filed recently involving allegations of Goodyear Dunlop tire deflations, one in Butte, MT, the other in Atlanta, GA.

According to the allegations described in a lawsuit in the Butte, MT crash, a defect in the bead seat area of the tire allowed excessive leakage of air leading to a “sudden and catastrophic deflation” of the tire. Stephen Gageby, Butte, MT, was killed, and his wife was seriously injured in the resulting crash, the suit says.

The Georgia suit was filed in U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia, Athens Division,(Case no. 3:09-cv-74 ), and involved the death of a passenger Patricia Morris. Among other things, the suit alleges Harley Davidson knew it was “false and misleading” to represent that its 2007 FLHTCU and its tires were safe for carrying up to two riders weighing more than 250 pounds each, plus their cargo and motorcycle accessories.

The Montana suit (Cause No. DV-08- 480) was filed Nov. 10, 2008, in the Second Judicial District Court, Butte Silver-Bow County. Attorneys representing the Gageby estate are Michael McKeon, with the law firm of McKeon and Anderson, PC, Butte, MT, and Billy Edwards, with the Edwards Law Firm, Corpus Christi, TX.

---

Both HD and Goodyear Dunlop have denied they have received any complaints or reports from consumers about defect issues with these tires.

I'm wondering if anybody here (or knows anyone who) has encountered this issue before.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
I find it quite interesting you posted the EXACT same post on PNW Riders.com site, only warning sports riders instead. I see you were a "Newbie" their as well. I wonder how many other sites you took time to target? Sure am glad you are so sudedenly concerned. I found it simply by googling your case number. Funny thing is all I found was other postings by you, nothing official. You smell a little odd to me.

Here is a link to one he is reffering to. Happened on 2007 due to overloading tires.
Motorcycle / Bike - Dunlop Motorcycle Tire Defect Faulted In Motorcycle Club Member Death

Last edited by a moderator:
My name is Nick, and I'm a student at St. Edward's University. I am a "newbie" to motorcycles and motorcycle forums. The issue at hand has affected me personally, and I want to help get the word out. I know there are situations like this where somebody is looking for something to gain--I can honestly say I'm not that guy. If these tires are defective, and the issuers are denying the problem--people need to know...

[removed]

thanks for listening

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nick. Why not tell us about your EG and what happened to you/it? By reading your two posts it sounds like you were affected by these possibly defective tires. We would all be curious to hear the story.

AJ

Back