free website stats program Deep Cleaning Tips Please | Harley Davidson Forums

Deep Cleaning Tips Please

DavidH89

Having ridden my HD for the last few months in a very wet and damp Irish climate its time to bestow some TLC on it and bring it back to its former glory. Need suggestions on how to properly clean the swing arms and other aluminium areas that have become really dirty. Up front for instance parts of the fork have black marks on them which I suspect is some sort of oxidisation. Any ideas on what cleaning agents to use to shift these marks.

Have just tried Autosol which helped a bit, but nowhere near enough. Is it a case of just using more Autosol, leaving it on a while longer and using plenty of elbow grease, repeating the process until all marks gone and shine restored. Is Autosol a strong enough cleaner.

Heading to Killarney next weekend for the Emerald Isle HOG tour and want my HD to look its best.

All advice greatly appreciated.

I will reply but I am sure to get schooled. All I can say, is I have did this for years and so far no negative results. When my ride is dirty, I mean really dirty, I first use water and a micro fiber rag to remove the obvious. (Lots of water) Then I use a cleaner such as HD S100 total bike cleaner. Follow directions on container for time allowed on bike. Here is where I will get hammered..... I use my pressure washer to rinse off the S100 (or simple green or soap and water) as well as all the dirt and grime. I then use my Echo blower to remove all excess water followed by a hard ride to get rid of all water by way of wind or engine heat. Even after that I still take a micro fiber rag with pledge and detail. Looks like brand new (inside and out) with very little effort. People here will say you will experience rust in your bolt heads or other reasons you should never use a pressure washer. All I can tell you, I have used one as has my nieghbor has for the past 15 years with no problems at all. In fact my bike is usually one of the cleanest of all my riding buddy's. Just use common sense and stay away from the obvious areas and you will be fine. There you have it. I am sticking with it cause it works. Keep in mind this type of cleaning is only required after some undesireable riding conditions. Normally I use nothing but soap and water followed by pledge.:newsmile090:

I still use my pressure washer too Walleye:D
Just not above the base of the tank

Thanks for the info Hobbit. The forks and swing arms are clear coated I think. Obviously this is now damaged and the stains/oxidisation is underneath. If I do strip it back as you suggest, how do I then reprotect the surfaces so the same doesnt happen again even faster. Are the marine polishes etc strong enough to give protection to the newly preparef parts. Dont want to be creating work for myslef. Cheers.

Back