free website stats program Decided to go for it... | Harley Davidson Forums

Decided to go for it...

For about the past 2 years I have been contemplating whether or not to purchase a cruise control kit for my '07 Fatboy. My Fatboy has been a great bike, but as for the type of riding I do I need cruise control. If I take my bike out it usually for days at a time and miles at a time. I've got 16" Ape Hangers, Boss Bags and a tour saddle; so the bike is plenty comfortable - except for "tingling hands".
I thought about purchasing a Street Glide just so I'd have cruise control. Course, the cost of the Cruise Control Kit is much cheaper, although still a hit on the check book at around $900.00.

I did some research and the kit I liked the most is designed by Customized Cycles, Inc. - Electronic Cruise Control for Softails. They take the stock Harley Davidson Cruise Control (for a Road King) kit and create a wire harness and mounting plate. Once mounted the kit is tucked neatly in front of the rear wheel, near the pivot point of the swing arm.

Parts are ordered and hope to have a status update sometime next week. I have a trip planned for August, shooting out to the East Coast and back through Blue Ridge Parkway - hope I have it all installed and tested by then.

I think that is smart decision considering the economy right now. I'm looking forward to hear how it works.

What ever happened to people keeping their Harley's for 20 years? Used to be when you got a Harley it was part of the family, a trusted friend and companion. Not any more. Some else comes along and catches your eye and old faithful gets kicked to the curb. I'm glad you decided to keep yours. Oh well rant over.:newsmile102:

I'd prefer to keep all my bikes forever...but sometimes you just have to make room for the next. I have kept bikes too long in the past and honestly it just wasn't right that they sat there not getting used. I figure some other guy can enjoy them for a bit.

Ended up getting the cruise control installed and tested. Headed for Dallas, Tx (from Lincoln, Ne) this past weekend for the real road test. Worked 100% perfect!! Loved every minute of it. Although, on the trip, I ended up stopping in Moore, Ok and purchased a 2011 Street Glide ;) Nothing wrong with the cruise on my Fatboy, but the dealer really worked with me to meet the price I wanted. Couldn't pass it up. :D

Back