free website stats program Decelaration Popping | Harley Davidson Forums

Decelaration Popping

Ozzie1

I have just purchased an 05 Road king Custom that was bought in from the U.S. to Canada and ended up in the local metric dealers showroom. The blke was originally registered in California and has 11,000 miles. It has a set of pipes with the part # 64910-99 which from research are an old set of SE pipes from Harley. It also has a K&N Filter in it. There are no other programmers attached to the ECM so I take it this is a stage 1 kit installed.
So my question is, does this need to have the ECM re-mapped or is the " Deceleration Popping" just due to the Screaming Eagle pipes that generate zero back pressure?? Thanks in advance for your ideas and thoughts..

in respect to the air cleaner is it open behind it ,or does it still have the factory airbox?

It could have the dealer download in the ecm but the only way to tell is to have the dealer verify it.

Your most cost-effective option is to get a "plug-and-play" fueler that will allow YOU to tune the AFR (using your "seat-of-the-pants" dyno) to minimize or eliminate your popping problem. First though, you should check the system for air leaks on both the intake and exhaust sides. Once those are eliminated, check out the info here on fuelers/tuners:

EFI Tuner Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

See here for help on checking for leaks:

Muffler Leaks - Harley Davidson Community

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

Intake System Leaks - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

It appears to have a plate system for mounting. I just researched the kit and it looks like this one at this site fuelmotousa.com/harley_filter

I also have real bad deceleration popping and what I call a hiss every now and then come from injection/intake area while accelerating. Can someone post some pics of what the backing on air filter should look like? Also, what bolts are you (Glider) talking about in the following:

Also some have said that they hear what sounds like a chirping sound when riding. A good source of this type of sound comes from after market exhaust systems.
If you hear this type of sound, loosen up the 3 bolts holding the tips on the mufflers, push them in all the way and re tighten the bolts. It is an exhaust leak ahead of the tips that can cause this sound.
I have heard this kind of sound while riding and coming to a stop. But on the Vance & Heinz there is no bolts I can see. The previous owner put gear drive cams, new cam plate and bearings, new oil pump and quick remove push rods, power commander III and Vance & Heinz slip on mufflers and had the bike dyno tuned at a reputable shop. He said the air ratio was 15:1
01150001020401040020080705ef6e346a013b4e69e5004d57.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0313.jpg
    100_0313.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 15
I acknowledge that .... I was wondering what three bolt?? As I do have V&H slip on mufflers. Also any other suggestions to problems?

Different mufflers have different type of fasteners for the tips. Some have one underneath and others have more than one. It depends on the make of muffler what you have.

Last edited:
Back