free website stats program dealer Runaround | Harley Davidson Forums

dealer Runaround

chuck60

As many of you know, I bought a 2012 street glide about 6 months ago and have had a noise in the transmission from day one. After many calls and two trips back to the dealer I still have the noise, and I'm told it's normal. The last trip to the dealer the head mechanic said he was going to Milwaukee for training in early february and he would ask the tec's for some info on the noise in the transmission's, I called yesterday and ask to talk with the mechanic and was told, that he went for advanced training on oil changes and belt adjustments and some other things and he never had the chance to ask about the noise, so now they tell me they are going to call the local Rep and find out when he will be in town. I don't like nor want to bad mouth this dealer ship but I am getting so aggravated over the run around that I'm about to let every one I talk to on the Harley sites and facebook, not to buy a bike from this dealer ship, because when you have a problem with your bike the only thing they will give you is a runaround.

By the way the mechanic that went to learn how to change oil and adjust belts has 20 + years experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain Chuck for they have made it very difficult for you in a couple of respects. The lack of enjoyment with the new steed #1 and the chance of them ever selling you anything for a shirt to another bike, #3 and any referred business.
I would recommend that you look into the lemon law with you state. Hopefully there is the 3 strike rule. And if so play along with dealer so you can work it to your advantage. Even though it is a difficult task ultimately you may end up with a new bike. Also discuss with finance company if you have a loan on the bike. For you are not getting what you paid for.
Best of luck to you and hopefully it will all work out....:s

Have you been on another 2012 that doesn't have the trans noise problem? Ask the dealer to let you ride another 2012 SG and see if it sounds the same. If the dealers SG doesn't have the noise ask the service manager to ride both and see what they say.

It seems every time you take your ride into a dealership with something you know is not right, they tell you "Oh that's normal", or "They all sound that way". It really is disgusting. I feel your pain. Hope you can get it resolved.

We had a HOG member who had a noisy tranny on a new bike. Less than 100 miles and he complained.
They changed the factory tranny fluid to something else ( don't know what it was) and the noise went away.

I've run Spectro 6-speed oil since the 1st oil change on my '07 Ultra. (I do all my own oil changes.) I never had a noise problem but the Spectro 6-speed oil is suppose to address the 6-speed noise problem that some riders experience.

I'd try a quart. It just might fix the problem. Worth a try.

It seems I have tried to help you out here once before in another thread.

IF You would OR have you Drained the tranny and put in a different Gear Oil????

Please don't say "It is under warranty".. That is just like the dealier saying "they all do it"

Go get a Quart of Redline Heavy Shockproof... Put it in AND IF the tranny is still noisy it is the tranny.

THEN report back.

signed....BUBBIE

I will try the red line, right now I have spectro heavy duty witch Glider told me to try, but I'm not happy with it. Is the red line just heavy duty or is there some number that goes with it.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - ShockProof® Gear Oils

The above link shows the picture of the Redline Heavy Shockproof...

many ways to get it, You can order it on line, Just google Redline and many companies will sell it.

signed....BUBBIE

I will try the red line, right now I have spectro heavy duty witch Glider told me to try, but I'm not happy with it. Is the red line just heavy duty or is there some number that goes with it.

I have Red Line Shock Proof Heavy in my Trany. No issues. However, I've had the Spectro 6 speed Lube in my trany as well. Again, no issues. I'm going back to the spectro only becuse I have a local dealer that sells it. Good luck

Back