free website stats program Dealer Handling my Bike... | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer Handling my Bike...

cmvsm

I just recently brought my bike in for warranty service to do the front motor mount and replace some bushings in the bars. I was having some excessive vibration. I was really set on doing the work myself, but thought since the warranty paid for it all, I'd go ahead and let the dealer do it.

After getting my bike back today, I kind of wish I had done the work myself. I was riding down the road and heard some rattling in the left bar that wasn't there before. I had a small ding on my horn cover that wasn't there before. I also start asking myself small details like if they used loctite every time a screw went back in, etc.

Not really sure I want to take it back for other things. I almost feel like my bike was violated in a certain way and I don't know it like I did when it went in...if that makes sense.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I just recently brought my bike in for warranty service to do the front motor mount and replace some bushings in the bars. I was having some excessive vibration. I was really set on doing the work myself, but thought since the warranty paid for it all, I'd go ahead and let the dealer do it.

After getting my bike back today, I kind of wish I had done the work myself. I was riding down the road and heard some rattling in the left bar that wasn't there before. I had a small ding on my horn cover that wasn't there before. I also start asking myself small details like if they used loctite every time a screw went back in, etc.

Not really sure I want to take it back for other things. I almost feel like my bike was violated in a certain way and I don't know it like I did when it went in...if that makes sense.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

What dealer so we can share the info with others, If they damaged your bike take it back be firm and polite but stand your ground

What a bad feeling! VIOLATED! As CJ says go back and stand your ground, but politely. I can understand BOTH sides of this possible dispute having been involved with auto repair for over 25 years professionally.

One sage bit of advice my old boss had..... " If you don't trust who you're dealing with, you shouldn't be dealing with 'em!"

Best of luck!

Had similar situation many years ago in CA w/my Suzuki Intruder. Took bike in for maint & svs tech decided to wipe tank w/dirty rag - entire top was scratched through clearcoat. Also found nicks in frame & few other flaws - took back & had them correct everything.

Last time I used their service dept & this is when I elected to self-maintain my bike's b/c I know I do quality work...;)

Take it back and talk to the service manager. Try not to displace anger for sometimes bringing it to managers attention will only improve the quality of shop. Hopefully they will get you taken care of.

I would take it back and bring it up to the service manager in a polite maner, to start. Then adjust your attitude with his.

With warranty or recall work, the dealers have to do the work because of liability

Spent some time with the bike today. A few of the blemishes that I initially saw, I was able to buff out. I also found out that it was the clutch lever rattling, as it was adjusted with a little too much play, as it sits about 1/2" from the housing, versus 1/8". I'm going to adjust that myself versus taking it back.

I'll keep the warranty in the event anything 'big' goes sideways, but definitely going to be doing most of the other work myself to give me a little more confidence on the highway. Thanks for all of the responses, as this forum has been great when seeking information.

Spent some time with the bike today. A few of the blemishes that I initially saw, I was able to buff out. I also found out that it was the clutch lever rattling, as it was adjusted with a little too much play, as it sits about 1/2" from the housing, versus 1/8". I'm going to adjust that myself versus taking it back.

I'll keep the warranty in the event anything 'big' goes sideways, but definitely going to be doing most of the other work myself to give me a little more confidence on the highway. Thanks for all of the responses, as this forum has been great when seeking information.
Care to name the dealer so we can help others ?

Back