free website stats program Dead bike after riding | Harley Davidson Forums

Dead bike after riding

jmnord1

My husband drove my 2007 883R to work. Acted like it didn't want to start, but then did, and gave him no more problems on his work commute. He went out to start it after work and nothing. I called my brother because his father-in-law is a Harley mechanic and they said check the battery/battery cables. (We don't have a lot of tools) We hooked up the battery tender and it showed that the battery was charged (green light came on, not red). When I put the key in the ignition (tried both key fobs, just in case that battery was dead), the speedo light came on in accessory mode, but when I turned the key to igniton, nothing! When tilting the bike, the security system did not even go off. We checked the cables, but they seemed tight. I cannot figure it out, and being new to the motorcycle world, I don't know much. Does anyone have ANY suggestion? Right now, I can't mess with it as it is locked in a maintenance room in a courthouse. (My husband works there and they wanted it safe) But, I need some suggestions for after work. Thanks so much!

If that is the original battery I would change it out,2007 883. It is a 10mm wrench for the battery cables.
tourbox

Battery was new in April of 2012. I had new tires, battery, engine guard, had it lowered, and the 10K service done all at the same time. Previous battery was original.

Does the red Key light go off about the same time the check engine light does when switched on? If the key light stays on, you have a problem in the TSSM or a blown fuse. Also make sure the off/run switch on the handlebar is on (it happens).
P.S. If the bike was tilted, the ign. has to be recycled a few times to reset the tilt sensor.

Yes, the key light goes off when switched from accessory to ignition. And, when I say tilted, I mean just tilted onto the kickstand. It typically sets the flashers on the security system off when the keys are out of it and I put it on the stand. And, I have learned to always make sure the on switch is on. ;) It HAS happened to me before. Would the fuse be the little 15 amp ones by the battery box? I thought about getting those and just replacing them to see. (Sorry, I am new to all this. Not had any probs til now)

Yes, the key light goes off when switched from accessory to ignition. And, when I say tilted, I mean just tilted onto the kickstand. It typically sets the flashers on the security system off when the keys are out of it and I put it on the stand. And, I have learned to always make sure the on switch is on. ;) It HAS happened to me before. Would the fuse be the little 15 amp ones by the battery box? I thought about getting those and just replacing them to see. (Sorry, I am new to all this. Not had any probs til now)

You are trying to start in Neutral right?

Ok. Battery tested fine, cable connections are good, fuses all looked good. Still won't start. I don't know what else to check. I did wash it 3 weeks ago and had trouble starting it. Water ran out and it started up and drove fine up until now. It does have a leaky rocker gasket I am soon to get fixed, but my brother said that it is fine as long as it has oil (which it does). I have a repair manual but the guy I bought the bike from had an 04-06 repair manual and mine's an 07. They changed the sporty's to fuel injection that year, so some of the problems the manual gives are for carburated. And, it doesn't explain the lack of power. If we could get the speedo to light up in Ignition mode, we could try to check for codes, but going from acc to ign it kills all lights.

I did last night. It typically is left in 1st and started in 1st (clutch in). I put it in N last night and nothing. But, it also kills the speedo light when I change from acc to ignition.

Well, my husband and some of the guys tried everything. Probably wiring. The speedo only lights up when on the tender in accessory mode. The horn works, but no headlight or turn signals. Like I said, the battery is only 1 year old, and when tested, it has a full charge. If anyone has anything else, I appreciate all advice. Looks like I will have to garage it this riding season and wait until I get next year's tax refund to do anything. (Frustrating!)

Back