free website stats program Dead as a Dodo | Harley Davidson Forums

Dead as a Dodo

HarleyHarry

Banned
Three weeks now after the warranty ran out I have the following problem.
I started the bike ('07 Ultra) but let go of the starter button just before it ran. It sort of fired once but did not run. I should have pressed the starter just a little longer. No what ever I try I can not get it to run.
There's a full tank of fuel, I checked all fuses and they are OK.
It looks like one of the sparks is gone but stranger... I don't seem to get no fuel in the cylinders, plugs stay dry. I can hear the fuel pump running but it sounds allmost like it runs dry.
I would hate to have the dealer to come out, charge for collection and present a wopping great bill like they do.
Any help please?

I'm not one of the trouble sharpshooters on this site but I have a feeling someone is going to ask you if any error codes are showing? Did you just fill up with gas? Something in a tank of bad gas could be blocking the fuel filter or a fuel line.

The bike is at work now Dr. as that's where it gave out. I will check the manual tomorrow to see if I can find how to do this code thing. I had filled up about 6 miles before.

Here's the info on the codes for your bike.

09-08-07 DTC Codes - Harley Davidson Community

You may try some starting fluid (either) and give it a small puff in the intake to see if it fires off and stalls again. If it does, you have a fuel problem which I suspect is the case from your description.

It sounds like you experienced a kick back on start up which should set a code. Check them out and see what you have.
Is it cranking but not starting up? Also recheck all the fuses with a test light to be sure they are good. Sometimes they look good but aren't good, check both ends of each fuse with the light.

Bud's right, it may have blown the hose off the pump. Open the cap and see if you hear fuel splashing around in there when it cycles up. You may not hear it with a full tank, but at half tank you would.

Of to work now and I will take an empty gas can to drain some fuel.
I did check the fuses with a Fluke but if kickback can cause these kind of problems you might well be right Glider because that's what I got. Is putting the hose back on the pump something I can do myself? (I'm not a bike wrencher but an engineer by trade) Will give an update tonight.

You could do it yourself depending on your capabilities. Replace the sealing gasket and the screws, they have a sealer on them.

Hi. Not to steal the thread, but what exactly is "kickback". On my 02 Sporty, I never experienced a starting issue, but on my 09 RG, a couple of times after running a long distance and restarting, I hit the starter button it cycled once and sounded like a cough and stalled. I waited a min, made sure the injectors were full hit start and it fired back up. Is that "kickback"?

Thanks! Just trying to understand a little more techinical aspect of Harelys.

Back